Equal Runnings Batch Sparge question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnbrain

Reaction score
So if I've read everything correctly, if I increase the volume of my initial masha 'top off'infusion, my batch sparge volume will be under .5 gallons/pound of grains.

Right? Just making sure since I plan to mash about 5 lbs of grain for a mini mash.

Yes, just don't go over 2 quarts/pound for the mash. I like to mash with about 1.5 quarts of water per pound of grain.

Assuming you have a 5 pound grain bill, that would be mashing in with 8 quarts of water. You'd "lose" 1 gallon of water to absorption, so you will get out about 1 gallon of runnings. Then you could sparge with a gallon, for equal runnings. Measure the runnings, and take an OG (cool the sample first). Add water to get to your boil volume, and proceed. Once you know your OG, you can figure your efficiency and add the correct amount of extract needed.

Thanks. Based on your experience you think I'd lose that much to absorption? I'm thinking of enough mini mash as to not add water for my boil. I'll run the math but approximately 3.2 gallons + LME. So 1.6 gallons for equal runnings. Do you find 1.6 thick for the sparge?

And may I PM you my Oatmeal Stout recipe for your review'? No offense taken if 'no.'

Back