Beer Alchemy User Guide

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tslayer

Reaction score
After reading BA reviews I Purchased IPad version last night. So far very impressed with recipe creation.

One thing I cannot seem to find anywhere online is a users guide or any sort of instruction. Very surprising as most other apps I download at least have YouTube how to videos. Maybe I missing something within the app or in their website?

Eventually through trial and error I will get to understand each feature but a guide would be very helpful. Any suggestions?

I've been using Beer Alchemy for 2+ years and I love it. I can answer most questions you might have. There is an intro kinda thing under the "Help" menu on mine - "BeerAlchemy Help". I'm not running the iPad version though. It can help you get started... Feel free to drop me a line if you need anything.

I have beersmith. Can my recipes transport into beer alchemy for the iPad? Just got an iPad and would love to have a program on it. Love my beersmith though.

Is there something specific you need help with in BA? I can help. Also I have used the submit feedback function and always get a helpful and quick response.

As for import Beersmith recipes... What format does BeerSmith use for exporting?

I think BA uses BeerXML formatting. I can verify tonight after work.

I read the BA Release Notes and it states support for BeerXML and Promash .rec files.

Thanks for offers to help! As I have questions I know where to go now:)

As I have been using the program today I am liking it more and more. Brewing a blonde tomorrow and it has really helped me understand what a few tweaks to my original recipe will make to the outcome.

My favorite features are the Suggest a Beer, Shopping and Inventory Management. Oh yeah and that it can be set to be alpha acid aware changing the hop amounts to fit the IBUs from the orginal recipe.

BeerAlchemy for the win!

509inc said:
My favorite features are the Suggest a Beer, Shopping and Inventory Management. Oh yeah and that it can be set to be alpha acid aware changing the hop amounts to fit the IBUs from the orginal recipe.

BeerAlchemy for the win!

Can I add and store my tap water profile. I don't see this option under "profile". Or maybe I am confused about the use of the "water" section within the ingredients. It has defaults of only European towns?

Can I add and store my tap water profile. I don't see this option under "profile". Or maybe I am confused about the use of the "water" section within the ingredients. It has defaults of only European towns?

Yes " apple + , " to bring up BA preferences. There you should be able to program your water into the profile.

BA is made by Kentplace Software which is a UK company, thats my guess for the European water profiles.

Is there a way of calculating what your pre boil volumes, and therefore your sparge volumes should be? Any way of calculating volume loss to boiling?
This is easy in Beersmith, but I can't find it in BA. I'm trying to decide which one to buy and need to know if this is possible in Alchemy??

You'll have to determine what you want your preboil volume to be based on what you boil-off. I have a high boil-off rate in my kettle. I start with 9g for a 60-minute boil and 9.75g for a 90-minute boil. After all is said and done (trub in kettle and fermenter, dry-hopping, etc..) I end up with 5g in the keg.

Once you create the recipe, you can ad a 'batch' for that recipe. That will have instructions and what your mash and sparge amounts should be. This is based on the water:grist ratio you set.

SnakeAnthony6375 said:
You'll have to determine what you want your preboil volume to be based on what you boil-off. I have a high boil-off rate in my kettle. I start with 9g for a 60-minute boil and 9.75g for a 90-minute boil. After all is said and done (trub in kettle and fermenter, dry-hopping, etc..) I end up with 5g in the keg.

Once you create the recipe, you can ad a 'batch' for that recipe. That will have instructions and what your mash and sparge amounts should be. This is based on the water:grist ratio you set.

Ok thx. The thing that i don't like us that there is no starting points for "typical" equipment ie, 10gallon igloo cooler etc. I guess I can get my numbers from my old pc version of beersmith.

I hear ya. But it's not that hard to figure out what your numbers will be. If you're brewing in a (relatively) controlled environment and you use the same equipment, you should be able nail it down pretty quickly.

Back