Ginger Hibiscus Methyglin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jscholtes

Reaction score
12 lb mesquite honey (from Trader Joes)
.5 lb dried hibiscus flowers
zest from 2 orange
juice from 1 orange
zest from 2 lemons
juice from 1 lemon
3 oz ginger root, chopped
1 tablespoon vanilla extract (homemade with a whole bunch of vanilla beans and good neutral vodka)
yeast nutrient
yeast energizer
Red Star Champagne yeast (dry)

This is a 5 gallon batch.

I steeped the dried hibiscus flowers, lemon and orange zest, for about a half hour in about 2 gallons of 160 degree water, mix the honey with another 2 gallons of cool water and let that sit as the water came up to about 160 degrees. I then put it all in a brewing bucket along with the 3 oz of ginger, the juice of 1 lemon and 1 orange, the vanilla extract, and enough water to bring to total to a tad more than 5 gallons.

I am using Red Star Champagne yeast with a regimen of yeast energizer and nutrient over the coarse of three days.

I plan to rack off of the hibiscus flowers, ginger, etc in 2 weeks. Then I'll rack again when I get 1/4" or more lees, and do so again at least once. Then I'll hit it with some campden and sorbate, wait a few days and backsweeten if I think it needs it. I'll give it a week or two more then bottle and wait.

I hope I done good.

Back