Wierd Saison Krausen in my Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLinNH

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not stressed, but more intrigued as I have never used this yeast before. I used White Labs WLP 566, and I did my starter on Monday night. I am mashing right now, but all week I have been watching this starter. The Krausen is like nothing I have seen before. I still have a thin White layer on top of the 2.25 liter starter, with little Crystal like volcanoes coming up from the Krausen. I know that Saison Yeast is Funky, but this is like nothing I have ever seen. I'm going to use it, but I'm just looking for someone that has used this yeast before to give me a little re-enforcement that everything is kewl. Also, the starter wort is clear as day, but the funky Krausen on top remains.

This yeast is Crazy!!! Not 10 Hours after I pitched the slurry from the starter, I have a Blow Off tube filled with Krausen and a very aggresive fermentation. Wow, that was fast.

I'm not stressed, but more intrigued as I have never used this yeast before. I used White Labs WLP 566, and I did my starter on Monday night. I am mashing right now, but all week I have been watching this starter. The Krausen is like nothing I have seen before. I still have a thin White layer on top of the 2.25 liter starter, with little Crystal like volcanoes coming up from the Krausen. I know that Saison Yeast is Funky, but this is like nothing I have ever seen. I'm going to use it, but I'm just looking for someone that has used this yeast before to give me a little re-enforcement that everything is kewl. Also, the starter wort is clear as day, but the funky Krausen on top remains.

I am watching my Roeselare yeast do the same thing in the fermenter right now. Kinda pissed I am using a bucket and not a carboy to watch the festivities.

Latest posts

Back