Where are the cooling coils are on a Holiday 5 cubic foot freezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawdustguy

Reaction score
Does anyone know where the cooling coils are on a Holiday LCM050LC 5 cubic foot freezer? I need to drill a hole for a temperature probe. I have my fingers crossed someone can tell me.

If it was my freezer I'd either go from the top (lid) which I did or drill a hole in the drain plug and go in from the bottom. Mine goes in the back of the lid lip, through the insulation and down. I don't have the same freezer.

cut a hole in the seal in the lid and run it through there? the wire should be small enough to still allow a seal...

Well, the best you can do is turn it on and let it run. Areas that are the hottest and coldest have the coils. The bottom should be safe, mostly, but why not go in through the drain then?

For the outside a spray of water and dusting of talcum powder will show the warm condenser lines as water dries, a spray of warm water on the inside will highlight the cooling coils with lines of ice.

Thanks all.....I never considered going through the drain. I feel like an idiot because I didn't think of that....doh! I am not building a collar because this is going underneath my bar to feed a tower. I can fit three 5 gallon cornies and a 2 1/2 gallon corny if the tank is mounted externally. If the plug is big enough I may run the co2 line in through there also.

I followed Bobby_M's example when he did his keezer build and went through the wall in between the top and bottom screws that hold the hinge brackets to the keezer body wall. Following his lead I created a hole through the outside wall then scraped out the insulation to make sure there were no coils to hit. Check out his build videos (Bobby from NJ) on u-tube

I'm not sure where the cooling coils are on a Holiday 5cuft freezer, (and i dont know how youre fitting 3 cornies in it, cause i can only fit 2 in my holiday freezer.) but if you remove both hinges, and switch them with each other, (so the one with the spring is on the back left) then you can run the probe from the compartment straight up the back outside of the freezer, and behind the hinge, you will find a breech in the metal (back right) you can push a screwdriver into it, and gently push through the foam until the screwdriver is against the inside wall, and you can punch it through easily. Now you have a clear shot through it. Drill a 3/8" hole (if youre using a Johnson Controls A19 ABA-40c controller with a bulb $45 bucks at supply house) and you can push it through. Drill a hole through the hinge cover, put the probe through, then through the freezer, snap the cover in place. That location can also be used to install power for installing a light or two inside the freezer using a normally closed switch, ie Christmas lights around the inside edge of the lid... sorry i dont have pics!

Latest posts

Back