what's the best hop for dry hopping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Powers

Reaction score
i'm about to dry hop a cascadian dark ale (black ipa), and am trying to decide on the best hop for the task.

i used cascades and amarillo during the boil. it the choice really all about aroma for dry hopping? if so, does the alpha acid content really matter?

i thought about using simcoe, but really, cascade and amarillo have a really good essence. any thoughts? :mug:

alpha acids have no effect on dry hopping. Yes it is all aroma and nothing else, no flavor or bitterness gets extracted unless they are boiled. id use whatever you used for your last minute boil additions, which it sounds like is amarillos and cascades.

Yeah generally I repeat the late boil additions. I love Centennial for dry hopping, it can't miss.

Also Sorachi Ace and Citra make a nice citrus facepunch.

i dry hopped a CDA recently with equal parts simcoe and centennial and it came out fantastic.

like the previous folks said, the alpha acids remain in the dry hops. so if you're using whole hops in a sack, you can take them out of the beer and if you're bottling the same day you're boiling a new wort, you can re-use those dry hops as bittering hops.

like the previous folks said, the alpha acids remain in the dry hops. so if you're using whole hops in a sack, you can take them out of the beer and if you're bottling the same day you're boiling a new wort, you can re-use those dry hops as bittering hops.

i like this kind of thinking :mug:

Amarillo, Cascade, and Simcoe would all work great with what you've got going. All three, or any combo. Centennial would work too. You really can't go wrong here with any of those hops.

i was thinking about an ounce of hops on a 2.5 gallon batch for at least a week. how does this sound?

of the hops mentioned above, my LHBS only carries cascades in whole hops. i just learned this after i called them. i've never used whole hops (although i have some growing now :D), but i thought it would just look better and get my taste buds primed more than a green sludge from hops pellets.

thanks for the help everyone :)

I know this is an old thread, but I like dryhopping with Columbus and whatever late addition hops I used. My latest CDA uses 1oz of Columbus, Simcoe and Cascades for dryhops. I dryhopped my favorite IPA with Columbus and Simcoe. It may not be for everyone but I love dryhopped Columbus.

i'd never given columbus much thought. i ended up using cascade since i had some leftover from a couple batches, but i'll keep columbus in mind next time around. thanks for the input!

ive had good results with columbus(plugs were awesome)

and simcoe/amarillo combo

not mentioned in this thread is the oil profiles of these hops, but that surely impacts the pedigree for dry hopping

Back