Question about brew...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boomer

Reaction score
I've looked, but I can't find anything while searching about this, so forgive me if it's been posted before...

I think I may have measured wrong. I have a 6.5 gal carboy but it's still coming out of the blow off pretty heavily. I had to switch to a blow off this morning because the airlock was full of foam. I thought it was just the kit/yeast but I'm thinking I may have added too much water to the carboy. Assuming I put too much water (I did a partial boil) I'm guessing I don't have enough headspace. Seems like a fairly easy fix for my next batch, and a lesson learned on this, my first ever brew. Could this change the outcome? Should I expect a weaker brew both in flavor and/or alcohol content? My initial hydrometer reading prior to pitching yeast was 1.050.

Thanks in advance.

What I do is I have used a magic marker to show 5 USG (19L) and 20L, as I only have the 6USG (5 Gallons imperial) carboys. I only fill them to 19 or 20 litres, just so I have the headroom. If you added water, you have changed your OG by a few points. The gravity change depends on how much you had originally, and how much water you added. As for your last question, yes, your brew will be weaker in both taste and alcohol, but probably not by much.

The good news is that you've already learned from your mistake. Which puts you ahead of me the first time I fermented anything :D

One option you might want to consider: do a search here for glass etching... permanent marker is nowhere near as permanent as we'd all like it to be on glass :D

I've looked, but I can't find anything while searching about this, so forgive me if it's been posted before...

I think I may have measured wrong. I have a 6.5 gal carboy but it's still coming out of the blow off pretty heavily. I had to switch to a blow off this morning because the airlock was full of foam. I thought it was just the kit/yeast but I'm thinking I may have added too much water to the carboy. Assuming I put too much water (I did a partial boil) I'm guessing I don't have enough headspace. Seems like a fairly easy fix for my next batch, and a lesson learned on this, my first ever brew. Could this change the outcome? Should I expect a weaker brew both in flavor and/or alcohol content? My initial hydrometer reading prior to pitching yeast was 1.050.

Thanks in advance.

Not enough of a difference to even worry about. I screwed up once in the opposite direction. I went one gallon shy in my water measurement (don't know how) and I ended up with this thick, nasty, high alcoholic syrup that I managed to choke down. Personally, I'd rather my beer come up a tad short (light) on taste and alcohol than too damned strong.

What I do is I have used a magic marker to show 5 USG (19L) and 20L, as I only have the 6USG (5 Gallons imperial) carboys. I only fill them to 19 or 20 litres, just so I have the headroom. If you added water, you have changed your OG by a few points. The gravity change depends on how much you had originally, and how much water you added. As for your last question, yes, your brew will be weaker in both taste and alcohol, but probably not by much.

The good news is that you've already learned from your mistake. Which puts you ahead of me the first time I fermented anything :D

One option you might want to consider: do a search here for glass etching... permanent marker is nowhere near as permanent as we'd all like it to be on glass :D

That's what I had planned on doing for my next batch. Before I sanitize, I wanted to measure out 5 Gal and put a piece of tape on the outside of the carboy. Just a small piece, but one that will stay and make it easier to measure from now on. Hopefully that will be sufficient from now on.

I filled my carboys using a 2 quart measuring cup, and made a mark there, so in the end I had the carboy marked every half gallon. I marked each gallon with its number next to its line, I used my wifes nail polish to mark it, and havent had an issue with a line coming off and its been about a year

I filled my carboys using a 2 quart measuring cup, and made a mark there, so in the end I had the carboy marked every half gallon. I marked each gallon with its number next to its line, I used my wifes nail polish to mark it, and havent had an issue with a line coming off and its been about a year

That's a good idea. I'll keep that in mind. Seems like that method would be more permanent than both markers and tape.

Back