My Fortune for One 5/8" Stainless Steel Fender Washer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys... I can get the stainless kit for the inside- no problem- but I'd rather use the 5/8 zinc coated on the outside for the wider fender flare.

So... Stainless inside and zinc outside is okay?

MD

You can drive from store to store "building" your tun and waste time and fuel or you can spend about ten minutes on bargain fittings website. I ended up doing both. Bargain Fittings was a lot less hassle. The extra shipping $ easily equals your time and fuel. And it's all SS. YMMV

In the upper Midwest theres a chain called Menard's and they had 6 packs of 5/8" stainless flat washers for $1.50 or so. My only issue is that I can't get the hose barb and ball valve far enough onto the nipple for the 10 gallon tun unless I use like 9 washers, and the whole thing is too narrow for the current 5 gal home depot HLT. ( I'm using a 5 gal. HLT and a 10 gal. M/LT). I'll be using for fly sparging once I can get the right parts for the 5 gal. Any suggestions for either dilemma?

+1 True Value. Less then 20,000 people in the whole county but they stock better beer widget stuff than the big box in the big city. Take a washer that is close to what you need or make a cardboard cutout of what you need. I have even showed them a cell phone picture of my problem and had them find a solution or work around.

Check a local hardware store. Stadium hardware had them here in Ann Arbor. I should have gone there first instead of going to Lowe's or Home Depot. They always have what I need with someone who knows what they are talking about. Their building is not a stadium so you don't have to walk a mile between sections, and they are usually a very quick in and out for whatever you need.

The Fastenals in DuBois and Clearfield have them in like 4 packs ... or 10 packs. I can't remember. I bought some in DuBois a few months back.

I found this at Home Depot for $3.98. make sure not to pick up the zinc pack.

2012-09-01 15.15.00.jpg

Hey guys,

I was able to find the 5/8 SS washer at true value hardware as well, 85 cents a pop! I am not sure if they are a national chain but its worth a look. For a smaller hardware store their selection was incredible.

Cheers!

I just bored out the hole on 4 washers... added 30 minutes to the build and went through 3 dremel bits. Now I have an excuse to buy more bits... and while I'm at Lowes there's always something else.

food quality 316 ss at fastenal. if you cant get them without an account, let me know, hell, ill buy them and pay shipping to you if you send me a bottle of your best home brew. shoot me a pm

as a matter of fact, I can supply you with a whole conversion kit to turn the rubbermaid 10 gal cooler into a mlt for a rather low cost with the ball valve, ss washers, o ring, ss mesh, a brass t and bulkhead(using plastic zip ties as clamps)

Back