Help with Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doggage

Reaction score
I haven't done an extract beer for a couple years. I normally do all-grain beers and 5 gallon batches, but I'm doing a 10-gallon IPA from extract today for some buds.

I have a couple questions about doing a 10-gallon version. I do full-boils, so how much should I adjust the hop additions? I was thinking to back off the early and mid-boil hop addition by about 20%. Does that sound about right? Also, my friends I'm brewing this for really like a bit milder IPA without a huge amount of hops. (I know, I need new friends.) Could I decrease all the hops by a bit, or would I be better off leaving some of the later additions as is for aroma? I ask because they don't mind the hoppy aroma as much as a bitter taste.

I copied this recipe from Northern Brewer:

India Pale Ale Extract Kit

O.G: 1064

Specialty Grains
* 1 lbs. Simpsons CaraMalt

Fermentables
* 3.15 lbs. Gold Malt Syrup (boil for 60 min.)
* 6 lbs. Gold Malt Syrup (boil for 15 min.)

Boil Additions
* 1 oz. Nugget (60 min)
* 0.5 oz. Kent Goldings (30 min)
* 1 oz. Kent Goldings (15 min)
* 0.5 oz. Kent Goldings (1 min)

* Danstar Nottingham Ale Yeast. Optimum temperature: 57-70° F.

If you want to reduce the bittering, just put all of the Syrup in at the beginning. That would be the simplest approach.

I haven't done an extract beer for a couple years. I normally do all-grain beers and 5 gallon batches, but I'm doing a 10-gallon IPA from extract today for some buds.

I have a couple questions about doing a 10-gallon version. I do full-boils, so how much should I adjust the hop additions? I was thinking to back off the early and mid-boil hop addition by about 20%. Does that sound about right? Also, my friends I'm brewing this for really like a bit milder IPA without a huge amount of hops. (I know, I need new friends.) Could I decrease all the hops by a bit, or would I be better off leaving some of the later additions as is for aroma? I ask because they don't mind the hoppy aroma as much as a bitter taste.

I copied this recipe from Northern Brewer:

India Pale Ale Extract Kit

O.G: 1064

Specialty Grains
* 1 lbs. Simpsons CaraMalt

Fermentables
* 3.15 lbs. Gold Malt Syrup (boil for 60 min.)
* 6 lbs. Gold Malt Syrup (boil for 15 min.)

Boil Additions
* 1 oz. Nugget (60 min)
* 0.5 oz. Kent Goldings (30 min)
* 1 oz. Kent Goldings (15 min)
* 0.5 oz. Kent Goldings (1 min)

* Danstar Nottingham Ale Yeast. Optimum temperature: 57-70° F.

If you're doing full boil there's no need to adjust the hop; it's when you're doing partial boils that you need to adjust as you'll get lower utilization due to the higher gravity of the boil.

As for any adjustments for taste, it's hard to say without the alpha acid levels of your hops but and I don't know your friends; what's the total BU/GU ratio of the recipe? This looks like an English IPA so I would assume it's not as hoppy as an AIPA? Personally if I were in your shoes I would just skip the 15 minute addition. That's going to give you an assertive hop flavor and that may not be what your friends want.

I have found in my experience that when people say a beer is too hoppy they are referring to the flavor hops, not so much the actual bitterness. That being said Nugget is a med-low cohumulone hop (24-30%) so it should be a smoother bitterness than say Cascade....but hoppiness is entirely subjective.

Good luck!

Back