Please help me with my new kegerator! :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cranford803

Reaction score
Setup:

-5lb CO2 canister
-pressure on keg: 10psi
-Quarter Keg of Bud Light (Got cheapest keg first to play with)
-5ft of 3/16 ID beer line tubing
-3in stainless shank
-Perlick Faucet
-Temp inside of kegerator reads 37 deg F

When I pull the handle, the beer flys out of the faucet. The glass will be about 75% foam and 25% flat beer. If the pressure is backed off at all, the beer comes out a good pour but very flat. I have an irish coffin style tower that is not cooled. I know foam will build up over time in the top of the line because it is not cooled, but it's not just the first beer. It will happen even when several beers have been attempted and the faucet is distributing fresh beer from the keg.

How do I raise the carbonation of the beer and reduce the amount of foam?

most of it. I would say about 4 feet. It is in some plastic tubing that is open to the fridge. so it is cooler than room temp, but not 38 deg.

I had this problem with home brew once. The beer was over carbed. I took it off the gas and would release pressure in the keg every couple hours over a couple days. Problem instantly went away.

Your beer is store bought so i don't know if it would be the problem.

:mug:

-Nick

Also you don't mention how long you had the beer in the kegerator. I would guess 7-1/2 gallons of beer are going to take a day or so to chill to the temp of the kegerator. If the beer is warm it will also foam.

Is there any way to get more of that beer line down into the fridge?

+ 1 warm beer will foam like no other ... try to get a temp of the beer in a glass.

Back