Hair of the Dog

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewthunda

Reaction score
I went to the Hair of the Dog dock sale last Saturday in Portland, OR. If you aren't familiar with them, Hair of the Dog is a specialty craft brewer that only makes around 300 barrels of beer a year. Lots of it is aged in bourbon barrels. Most are old world/historical styles and most are at least 10% alcohol.

The dock sale was awesome. People showed up as early as 4:30 in the morning. I got there at 9:30 for a 10:00 opening and there were probably 70 people in front of me. There were tables full of communal beers that people brought for others to try, including tasty homebrews and a very nice orange ginger mead. Hair of the Dog had their sample bar going with all the free samples you could drink, including Fred of the Wood, and they were walking up and down the line giving refills. I'm kicking myself for not bringing a camera.

Below is a quick picture of my haul. I restricted myself to spending only what I had in my wallet and I walked away with a grand total of 17 bottles of beer for $92. See the second picture with the price list - Fred of the Wood was going for $160 a case! Ouch. I wanted to pick up a magnum of Doggie Claws or Fred just for the coolness factor . . but maybe next time.

I wound up getting 3 bottles of Blue Dot IPA, a six pack of Adam (deep, dark old world style beer, 10% ABV, tastes of smoke, tobacco, leather and dried fruit), a six pack of Fred (super strong amber ale, 10% ABV, with tastes of dried fruit and alcohol warmth), one $14 bottle of Matt (strong dark ale aged 6 months in bourbon barrels and 6 months in brandy barrels, 11.5% ABV), and one bottle of 2005 Rose Cassis, a 7% ale made with black currants.

IMG_4057.jpg

IMG_4054.jpg

I had a Fred from the wood from HOTDog a couple years back and it was really good. If I am ever out that way I would make a point to stop there.

Nice haul. Wish I could have made it to the sale but I had a prior commitment at 10 that morning and didn't think arriving at noon would have done me any good.

A friend picked me up 2 Rose Cassis and a Cherry Adam from the wood. They were all out of the Matt by the time he got there.

Anyone have a chance to taste the new HoTD Matt?

Nice haul. Wish I could have made it to the sale but I had a prior commitment at 10 that morning and didn't think arriving at noon would have done me any good.

I was just at Johnson Creek Market - at 45th and Johnson Creek in SE - and they had bottles of 2009 Blue Dot IIPA for $7.50 . . which is cheaper than the dock sale.

Johnson Creek Market is pretty cool if you've never been there. It's a dumpy Asian convenience store with half empty shelves and a sketchy little restaurant serving pasta and burritos to the Precision Cast Parts workers next door . . but they have a walk-in beer cooler and they have a pretty nice selection. I live up the street and that's where I go when I need to score some Sierra Nevada Torpedo or Bigfoot . . or even a Rogue Double Dead Guy or Hair of the Dog. You'd never expect it.

They have funny prices there from time to time, too. I once found Full Sail Old Boardhead Barleywine for $2.70 per bomber.

Back