Dme fix on ag?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gustavo

Reaction score
Was reading a couple articles online, and I came across a couple that stated you can use Dme to fix a missed gravity reading on AG. Has any one heard of this or used Dme on AG?

Yeah, thats an easy and common way to fix a missed gravity. I used sugar to fix my last low gravity, but it was a DIPA, so I wanted it to dry out a little anyways.

I usually take a gravity reading with about 20 minutes left just to make sure I'm close to my target, figure that gives me enough time for everything to be sanitized if I need to make any adjustments. Only once have I been far enough off so far, and yes, adding some dme is a great fix.

WE use Brew Math app on an IPhone. WE take a reading after Mash out and adding any boil off water to the kettle. We correct the SG for temperature then evaporation/dilution with the app, and add Corn Sugar is necessary (one in a while). We brew 16 gallon batches and use an extra pound of two row to end up maybe a little high on the OG, but then dilute with water to get the desired OG. We add boiling water to the pot with the Irish Moss to get the correct dilution for the calculated OG. Our OG has regularly come out correct with this method.

Does the Irish moss give u a more accurate reading ?

Was reading a couple articles online, and I came across a couple that stated you can use Dme to fix a missed gravity reading on AG. Has any one heard of this or used Dme on AG?

All the time when things don't go my way.......... Or, when making a huge Barley wine and I need more Malt Sugar and cant get enough grain into my mash tun.

Just seem a little unsanitary adding Dme to the wort after flameout

Thanx, I will keep some Dme on hand and I assume it should be light Dme?

Gustavo said:
Would u add Dme directly to the wort? .

On my second AG batch I ended up with only 60% efficiency but it was Saturday night so I wasn't able to get any DME until Monday. I just threw it in directly to the already fermenting wort and never had a problem.

WA_Hophead said:
On my second AG batch I ended up with only 60% efficiency but it was Saturday night so I wasn't able to get any DME until Monday. I just threw it in directly to the already fermenting wort and never had a problem.

I awesome u boiled the wort prior to adding it?

Yeah I brewed Saturday all the way through And pitched the yeast that night. I don't think I actually added the DME until Tuesday. I dissolved the DME, cooled, aerated, and poured through the Krausen that had already formed. Hope this helps.

Yeah I brewed Saturday all the way through And pitched the yeast that night. I don't think I actually added the DME until Tuesday. I dissolved the DME, cooled, aerated, and poured through the Krausen that had already formed. Hope this helps.

only thing with adding it later (not really a big deal) is that you'll have a little more volume to account for.

The other thing I'll point out is that you don't really need to cool it all that much, pouring a quart of hot liquid into 5 to 5.5G of cool wort isn't going to raise the temp of your beer enough to notice.

Back