My Second Home brew (start)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's your fermentation temp?
IMO, you are checking gravity way too soon. If you brewed on 1.29 then you are just wasting your volume. I never check gravity until 10-14 days min. Most times I let it go 3 weeks before checking, especially with a 1 gallon batch. If you take a gravity reading every few days you will not have anything to drink lol.
My one gallon batches usually net me 8-9 bottles. What did you get with your first batch?

FWIW, I'm a new brewer as well. I have about 18 batches under my belt. I brew mainly 2 & 3 gallon batches, mainly because I'm just trying different recipes to see which I like.

One issue I have come across is there are ALOT of opinions and many different ways to accomplish the same thing. With that said, it's not a bad thing but is confusing as hell for a new brewer.

Good luck and enjoy this freakin obsession.
Well whats crazy is i just a literally bottled my first batch tonight... !!!! and literally had 10 times more trub thenmy 2nd batch and i got 7 bottles. ! i had a bit extra brew so couldnt help myself but pouring the last bit in my cup to try!. as of now even as many mistakes as i know i made the beer actually tastes not to bad in my opinion... lets see when its cold and carbonated compared to my second batch!

i know the cups a bit outta season but screw it lol!

Snapchat-7831046849160105036.jpg

Snapchat-7907500773007229550.jpg

Hey Dan,

Glad to hear your batch #1 tasted alright, I thought for sure you were in trouble on that one. I mostly brew 5g batches (some 2.5 and once I split a 5g into 5-1g batches). I don't know if the 1g batches take more/less time to finish, mine didn't, so I too would agree no need to check so often. I assume you're still dropping the hydrometer into the fermenter, so not losing any beer. If that's the case I'd wait for 10 days or so before 1st measurement, and likely by 2 weeks you'll be fine- it will matter on beer styles. Low ferm temps take longer (low 60's and below) as opposed to higher temps. Yeast will change flavorsbased on ferm temp as well- lots on here about that too. Patience is the key here! If you want a quick brew, look up BierMuncher's Blonde ale. Very nice brew and should finish up quick.

Enjoy the beer, now wait again- 2wks of bottle aging in the mid 60's should be good (too cool and you won't carb up, over say 70's I'd also avoid), then put in fridge for a day or two before drinking and enjoy! Look forward to hearing your taste impressions.:mug:

ive been doing ok.. 2nd batch still fermenting havent check gravity yet since last time and yea.. no test tube screw that... i wash and sanitized the hydrometer always before putting in fermentor.... tied a thread to it so i can pull up easy lol

ive been doing ok.. 2nd batch still fermenting havent check gravity yet since last time and yea.. no test tube screw that... i wash and sanitized the hydrometer always before putting in fermentor.... tied a thread to it so i can pull up easy lol

I was always a big fan of the turkey baster with vinyl hose attached for a $2 target special diy "wine thief"

... i wash and sanitized the hydrometer always before putting in fermentor.... tied a thread to it so i can pull up easy lol
Good move!

I was always a big fan of the turkey baster with vinyl hose attached for a $2 target special diy "wine thief"
Small batch brewers can't afford to lose any beer, all is precious. But can you start a suction for transfer with that? I've done a 1g wine extract with my daughter and need to transfer soon. Need ideas!

Good move!

Small batch brewers can't afford to lose any beer, all is precious. But can you start a suction for transfer with that? I've done a 1g wine extract with my daughter and need to transfer soon. Need ideas!

I dont see why you couldnt. Ive never actually started a siphon with it, but it would stand to reason that it is possible.

I dont see why you couldnt. Ive never actually started a siphon with it, but it would stand to reason that it is possible.

why not just buy an auto siphon ... thats what i use. works like a charm

why not just buy an auto siphon ... thats what i use. works like a charm

I use an auto siphon as well, but he did say that he was a small batch brewer. I feel like with a full blown auto siphon you would leave quite a bit of the beer in the siphon

They have mini-auto-siphons, I have one I use when bottling my 1-gallon batches.

Its funny, as soon as I typed my response I started thinking, maybe they do have small ones? And I started sipping my first cup of coffee so I could actually type intelligent responses and checked amazon and sure enough, there they are. But I still stand by my turkey baster wine thief :D

why not buy an auto siphon

I haven't used one, don't use carboys (well except for wine), is that where you blow into the end of the tube? How much? Does it create bubbles in the wort / must? I guess I need to read up, but it scares me....

I haven't used one, don't use carboys (well except for wine), is that where you blow into the end of the tube? How much? Does it create bubbles in the wort / must? I guess I need to read up, but it scares me....

so i have a question... i went to check gravity today after about two weeks.... and noticed my brew is still actively fermenting. .. bubbles still slowly popping in air lock and i checked gravity its still at 1.020 ... is it stuck... or just be patient

so i have a question... i went to check gravity today after about two weeks.... and noticed my brew is still actively fermenting. .. bubbles still slowly popping in air lock and i checked gravity its still at 1.020 ... is it stuck... or just be patient

and this beer is supposed to be a 6.5% abv. with my calculations 1050 to 1020 is about 3.5 fermenting temp has been a steady 68°F

If its still fermenting, let it be. The only way to know that for sure is to take another gravity sample in a day or 2. If its the same, its probably don't and the bubbling airlock was caused by something else

and this beer is supposed to be a 6.5% abv. with my calculations 1050 to 1020 is about 3.5 fermenting temp has been a steady 68°F

Sounds like it's still fermenting. I estimate gravity by 1.3 factor so you're at about 4% now. I'd hold off, another week won't hurt.

Sounds like it's still fermenting. I estimate gravity by 1.3 factor so you're at about 4% now. I'd hold off, another week won't hurt.

ok cool ... ill just start my third one gallon than maybe soon move to a 5 gallon... my next batch is a sorachi ace ... supposed to be around 7.5% abv

ok cool ... ill just start my third one gallon than maybe soon move to a 5 gallon... my next batch is a sorachi ace ... supposed to be around 7.5% abv

Right up to 5 gallons! Good for you, I'm sure you've been learning a lot, how's that 1st beer, have you tasted it yet? I just bottled almost 6g of a Vanilla Stout, took me 2.5hrs w/cleanup :mad: but sample tasted good. Funny thing was a sample about 10 days ago was not good, so I was pleasantly surprised- hope it keeps improving. Put in some bourbon too, first time for both vanilla and bourbon, can't wait for a few weeks now. HBT is great for all of the info here, so many different approaches. I haven't tried a sorachi ace, maybe time to buy a commercial example for my taste buds. Cheers. :mug:

Right up to 5 gallons! Good for you, I'm sure you've been learning a lot, how's that 1st beer, have you tasted it yet? I just bottled almost 6g of a Vanilla Stout, took me 2.5hrs w/cleanup :mad: but sample tasted good. Funny thing was a sample about 10 days ago was not good, so I was pleasantly surprised- hope it keeps improving. Put in some bourbon too, first time for both vanilla and bourbon, can't wait for a few weeks now. HBT is great for all of the info here, so many different approaches. I haven't tried a sorachi ace, maybe time to buy a commercial example for my taste buds. Cheers. :mug:

yea i did drink my first beers lol i actually cracked open one of my seven the other night and now i have 1. lol

lol had to go down that hatch of mine was tasting pretty damn good hahaha :mug:

Congrats! Amazing huh? How we can have all these things go "wrong" and yet it still turned out good. Guess that's why RDWHAHB came along (relax don't worry have a home brew)!:tank:

Congrats! Amazing huh? How we can have all these things go "wrong" and yet it still turned out good. Guess that's why RDWHAHB came along (relax don't worry have a home brew)!:tank:

so im kinda curious to brewing big beers and good 1 g mix kits known to try one?

Big beers as in high OG? Or volume? Highest I've gone is about 1.070 or so, largest batch was 6g in fermenter (my conical might be able to push upwards of 6.5, but certainly a blowoff tube will be required).

I haven't brewed 1g beers, other than once splitting a 5g batch into 5 batches, a long tiring day, and didn't end well, mostly due to a much higher boil off rate than anticipated.

If you google top 100 beers HBT you will see some good recipes. I've brewed Biermuncher's Blonde & Black Porter, both fine beers (he's got lots of positive reviews/reports on his beers, will likely brew some version of his cream of three crops). I've heard good things about others, like Yooper's IPA. Those are all great starts, and you can reach out to these folks for questions if you can't find answers within the threads.

For batch scaling (down to 1g) I use Brewer's Friend, its been my go to tool for developing / fine tuning recipes. That and Brew365 for water calcs when you mash as well as temps and TastyBrew for priming calculator. Lots of great resources.

Big beers as in high OG? Or volume? Highest I've gone is about 1.070 or so, largest batch was 6g in fermenter (my conical might be able to push upwards of 6.5, but certainly a blowoff tube will be required).

I haven't brewed 1g beers, other than once splitting a 5g batch into 5 batches, a long tiring day, and didn't end well, mostly due to a much higher boil off rate than anticipated.

If you google top 100 beers HBT you will see some good recipes. I've brewed Biermuncher's Blonde & Black Porter, both fine beers (he's got lots of positive reviews/reports on his beers, will likely brew some version of his cream of three crops). I've heard good things about others, like Yooper's IPA. Those are all great starts, and you can reach out to these folks for questions if you can't find answers within the threads.

For batch scaling (down to 1g) I use Brewer's Friend, its been my go to tool for developing / fine tuning recipes. That and Brew365 for water calcs when you mash as well as temps and TastyBrew for priming calculator. Lots of great resources.

ok cool and by big beer i thought meant high abv. could be wrong. looking to brew a beer with 10% or more abv

Back