Steeping grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewno

Reaction score
I have used steeped grains in my brews and have stepped them in 150 -170 degree water then sparged with clean 170 degree water into my brew kettle.

My LHBS only steeps their grain in the water (1.5 gals) that is heating for their extract boil as that usually takes about 30 minutes or so to come to a boil anywaynot concerning themselves with temps (other than not boiling the grains). They place the grains in and let the water heat slowly to a boil and remove the grains just before the water actually boils (30 minutes).

I have read this method before and have also read somewhere (can't remember where) that for extract brews it doesn't really matter. That all you really need to do is steep in your hot brew water for 30 minutes removing before the water comes to a boil. The 150-170 degree thing doesn't matter much. Just don't boil them. Do others here just steep in the brew pot without worrying about temp or sparging?

Personally, I'd avoid going over 170 dF as there's a chance of tanin extraction/astringent flavors above those temps.

As long as your consistent in your process, you learn to adjust your steeping times and temps to how you want the brew to taste.

Brewno, I have used the same method you follow. It works well and should yield very consistent results. The method that your LHBS uses will work fine too because with all that grain in the pot, the pH isn't going to rise enough to lead to tannin extraction and off flavours unless you actually boiled the grains. But my concern is that this is a rather imprecise extraction method, so your results could vary slightly from batch to batch. If that isn't a concern, either method should work fine.

How much does the amount of water matter also? I've read 1.5 gal per pound (I could be mistaken) yet Palmer demonstrates his example using 3 gallons with a recipe that contains 1-1/4 lbs of grain.

how does time steeping affect the taste? dont mean to hi-jack this thread, but i'm doing an red ale this weekend, normally i steep around 150 for 20 minutes...

I put my start water (1 gal) at 180F. When I add up to 2 lbs of grain the temp drops to 170F. I steep at 170F with the heat off for 30 mins. At 30 mins the temp drops to 150F.

Always sounded good to me. :D

Just don't squeeze the bag, it'll add the tannins to the brew.;)

homebrewer_99 said:
I put my start water (1 gal) at 180F. When I add up to 2 lbs of grain the temp drops to 170F. I steep at 170F with the heat off for 30 mins. At 30 mins the temp drops to 150F.

Always sounded good to me. :D

Just don't squeeze the bag, it'll add the tannins to the brew.;)

That sounds very simple. I may have to give that a test run.

Good talk. I've wondered that as well. If you using a keggle, it takes longer than 20 minutes to get 6 gallons of water to boil. You mean I could have just thrown my grains in the keggle at the beginning? Let them stay in there until right before boiling occurs, then take them out? Dang. Would save me some time instead of steeping first, THEN getting the keggle up to boiling temperatures.

What I wonder is what difference does it make if you are using only specialty grains? There are few starches in specialty grains that could be converted so what difference would temp make. And sparging would seem like a waste of time since it is used to wash away extra sugars.

HBDrinker008 said:
What I wonder is what difference does it make if you are using only specialty grains? There are few starches in specialty grains that could be converted so what difference would temp make. And sparging would seem like a waste of time since it is used to wash away extra sugars.

Yes, that is what I have read also...kind of my point. I just didn't know how to put it....you know us noob's:D

There are still the same starches that are a concern for all-grain. Just with extract the conversion isn't a concern. The grains are just used for color and flavor, not sugar content.
You can still end up extracting tanins (and probably are with the pull before boil mehod) but since the ammount of grains that are being steeped is far less than what is used in an AG batch the impact of the extracted tannins is far less.

I used to steep at 160* for 20 min at 1.5-2 qt/lb in a smaller seperate pot (starting with170-176* water, you can find calculations for strike water temp in how to brew) on low heat, dunking the grain bag as if it were a tea bag. All while the brew water came up to temperature (full boil on a stovetop). After one or two you get a feel for when to start the water in the ketttle to time everything right.

Yes, getting your method down takes some time it seems:) I'm still green at this and juggle two pots. I steeped my grain in 1.5 gals of water which I kept between 150 and 170 degrees. In another pot I heated another gallon of water to 170. After 30 minutes of steeping I removed the grain bag and dunked it like a tea bag in the clean 170 degree water and swished it around then poured it into my brew pot combining it with with my steeping wort.

Turning the heat up and down on the stove to keep the heat just right is a pain in the ass though.

Back