Mixed-Style Beer Orange Kolsch (AG/EX)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed the 11 gallon all-grain batch of this and after 3 weeks in the fermenter the samples I have pulled taste very blah - watered down and generally not good.
Has anyone else experienced this? Does the flavor wake up with some carbonation? I may end up adding some more orange peel and coriander to see if that helps.

Thought I would field my own question I asked earlier and say that adding an extra ounce of orange (half sweet half bitter) and another .2 oz of coriander definitely made the difference and woke this beer up. I'm actually really looking forward to drinking this now.

Thought I would field my own question I asked earlier and say that adding an extra ounce of orange (half sweet half bitter) and another .2 oz of coriander definitely made the difference and woke this beer up. I'm actually really looking forward to drinking this now.

Did you add to Primary or secondary, Keg?
How long until it "woke it up"?

Did you add to Primary or secondary, Keg?
How long until it "woke it up"?
I added it to the secondary after boiling in a cup of water and the results were pretty much immediate. I usually don't go for beers with such a subtle flavor character as this so that might be part of why I thought it tasted watered down. But yeah, it had much more character after adding the extra Orange and coriander.

I added it to the secondary after boiling in a cup of water and the results were pretty much immediate. I usually don't go for beers with such a subtle flavor character as this so that might be part of why I thought it tasted watered down. But yeah, it had much more character after adding the extra Orange and coriander.

Thanks man
I thinking the same as you on this beer, its nice, but lacking.
I shall follow suit...
Dan

Just kegged this over the weekend and now it is carbed up. I adjusted the recipe for my system, but kept all ratios the same. I gotta say, this beer is phenomenal! The keg will not last long.

Brewed on 4/18...was ok around two weeks later. Drinking right now from keg...delicious. Amazing how much the beer matured from when I last had it.

I’m new to kegging, if I’m cold crashing this for a month in a keg are you putting co2 to it? Just want to do this right. Sounds like a great recipe

I’m new to kegging, if I’m cold crashing this for a month in a keg are you putting co2 to it? Just want to do this right. Sounds like a great recipe

depends.
If I need it quicker I'll toss some gelatin in it and keep it on 10 psi for a few weeks.
If I don't need it I'll purge the keg, pressurize it and let it sit in my basement then carefully move it so I don't shake it up and carb away.

Back