What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started ordering ingredients for the Mumme', & boy was that fun finding a site with secure payment! Let alone one that had that AND everything I need...:drunk:

Labeled a session wit with my daughter, and calibrated my carboyView attachment 312809View attachment 312810

Loved the Bumbo seat with my kids...be forewarned though...they will learn (suddenly) one day how to get out of it! Don't ask me how I know...but I will say it involved a near miss from an elevated position... (In my best Keanu Reeves voice: "Close one!")

Punched a couple of holes and sweated fittings in for the Herms coil. Woulda gotten it installed and maybe tested if one of the compression fittings hadn't seized.

Kegged off 5g of an APA while I was brewing yesterday. Will bottle the other 5g today.
Started making a yeast starter of sorts for bottling an Imperial Stout tomorrow.

Brewed 11 gallons of dirty water brown from brewing classic styles. Nailed every singe vol and temp. Even my mash PH was nuts on. can't wait to try this beer.

Brewed a big, 4 1/2 hour boil barleywine last night while "teaching" my buddy to bottle the APA we made about three weeks ago (i.e. I told him what to do and he did almost all of the work :ban:)

Cleaned up after a blowoff. I had just put tinfoil over the fermenter thinking the krausen might just bubble up to the top, but no... WLP400 is hell bent on world domination.
:mad:

Bought tubing for a proper blowoff. :mug:

Cleaned up after a blowoff. I had just put tinfoil over the fermenter thinking the krausen might just bubble up to the top, but no... WLP400 is hell bent on world domination.

Bought tubing for a proper blowoff. :mug:

You're scaring me here! My barleywine's blowoff is only 6mm ID and I'm still at work for another four hours or longer!

• Bottled 5g of APA for a friend's birthday.
  • Prepped a carbonation-starter from a packet of Nottingham and a bit of the imperial stout I'm bottling tomorrow.
  • Monitored the machine-gun fire sounds of early fermentation on a Pliny clone. I [over]pitched about 500ml of 1056 slurry from the APA and that puppy is just going wild.
  • Drowned sorrow in a delicious Imperial Stout I have on tap while watching Broncos dominate Green Bay

Yesterday brewed 11 gallons of Dirty Water Brown on my recently upgraded to version 4 bcs462 controlled system. Kept some of the starter yeast and put it into a 4 L batch to split for more starters.

Bottled 5g of imperial stout that's been bulk conditioning for 4 months. 54 bottles. That puppy really dropped during conditioning. Is 11.2 percent now. The taster was pretty boozy. Give it a month to carbonate.

Last edited:
Added a pound of Belgian sugar to my tripel last night. After only 24 hours the yeast has died down I little already, but I had to install a blow off tube in the morning.

I cleaned up the fermenting chamber after the weekends Hoegaarden eruption.

Now I need somethings spicy to get the taste of wlp400 out of the back of my throat.

Boy, imperials take a lot of time to ferment. First FG on 10/10 was 1.022. today, 11/4, it knocked off 6 more points, down to 1.016! Still cloudy, but not turbid. Flavors & heat are on point so far in my Hellfire IIPA. Can't wait till it clears up to dry hop & dry pepper it...:rockin:

Got some cleaned spigots dried off, sanitized & reinstalled. Wiped down inside/outside bottling bucket while I was about it. Cleaned the avinator inside & out. Sanitizer sitting under the center part can get quite nasty. Gotta clean some tubing & bottles yet...

I racked my SWMBO Slayer to secondary.

Thinking about bottling my Fairly Heavy Special Edition (read: colossal cock-up) later.

Brewed a Hobgoblin Clone yesterday. Tomorrow, I'm brewing a Surly Bitter Brewer AG kit I got from Northern Brewer. Hope it tastes as good because I love that beer.

Ran a heating test on my in-process Herms setup. Questioning now if this 120v element will be enough. May have to be enough for a while...

Yesterday I bought the ingredients for my next 3 batches and I am toying with the idea of a IPA/Saison split batch (make 8 gal and split into two 4 gal batches).

Wrote some more of my 2nd home brewing book. Doing research once more, I found that Cleveland went from 3 breweries in the 1840's to 26 by 1910! Pics of them have been few & far between, but I at least remember a few. Also interesting that the midwest was home to stoneware bottle production. Some of which were embossed, but still quite rare. So that's my afternoon, besides some cleaning & whatnot in the ol' brewery. It's gettin' about time to ramp up production once more, y'all!!! :ban:

Long time lurker, but I beer'd it up today!

Bottled my blonde ale
Added yeast to try and carb my woot stout clone (been two month, no carbing in the bottle)
Racked my Scottish to a secondary
Racked a wheat wine-ish ale to a keg for carbing
Racked my attempt at pappy's pub cider to a keg for carbing
Cleaned the ball valve on my kettle

In the process, cleaned and sanitized
2 kegs
4 carboys
My beer gun, my siphon (3x)
And all my brewing equipment for a blueberry milk stout I'm brewing tomorrow.

Marcus

Bought a bottle of Wee Heavy, Olde Ale, and Thor's Hammer. I should have bought two of each - one to save and one to drink.

Also, not today, but Thursday I finally got my co2 filled and pressurized my kegs. No leaks. I should be kegging a witbier this next week.

Took my DIY RIMs appart...yep, gotta get one of those stainless steel heating elements from @Bobby_M !

Ordered the ingredients for 3 more batches even though i still have a full sack of pilzen and golden promise plus the specialty grains to go with those. And im working OT today so im sure some of that cash will go to brewing stuff.

Back