What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Printed labels for my flip top seal jars of Agar, DME, Dextrose and Sour Dough, and for the cultures of 3711, 3787 and Conan.

Itching to do something beer related yet dont have time hehe.

I moved my Centennial Blonde to the cement floor... day 3 of fermentation and temp bumped up 2° to 69°, so hope to knock a couple degrees off this way.

Made a new label for my APA that will be printed and applied today before our friends come over to drink it all. I think it came out alright.

245603d1420037251-show-us-your-label-rough.jpg

Well, I ordered a 2000 ml Erlenmeyer to go with the new stir plate, and had hoped that it would have arrived by now so I could make a 1.3 L starter for the porter I'm planning for this weekend. It hasn't arrived yet, so this morning I made the 3L starter the old fashioned way. Oh well.

Got the ingridents for my wit in the tropics ipa and 2gal sour project, got a 1000 ml flask finally and 1 inch stir bar and my home made stir plate is working like a champ now so excited to get San Diego super yeast on the plate tomorrow for Friday's brew day of wit in the tropics

Wit in the tropics
6.5lbs pale malt
5lbs white wheat

1oz warrior FWH

1.5oz Amarillo flameout whirlpool
1.5oz citra flameout whirlpool
1.5oz Galaxy flameout whirlpool

Starter of San Diego super yeast wlp090

.5oz Amarillo dry hop 7days
.5oz citra dry hop 7days
.5oz Galaxy dry hop 7days

Stirplate with new flask (the dogfish cap has a earth magnet and is my stir bar holder its holding my 2" in the pic on the inside of the stir plate)
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1420056031.303447.jpg

1. Bottled my RIS after conditioning it in a bourbon barrel for ~6 weeks (fresh barrel). May be my best beer to date.
  2. Racked my Black Pearl Porter into the barrel.

Brewed up a batch of Honey Ale! This batch is for a coed baby shower for my son and his wife. My wife wanted to do a coed shower with the theme "A baby is brewing". It's really just an excuse for our large family to get together and drink beer.

Happy New Beer everybody!

Technically the other day, but cleaned a couple of kegs, filled them with beer, and ordered some hops. I need to clean three more kegs though.

Making 5.5 gallons of a Scottish 80 with my brother (razyrsharpe to you people! Lol!) and he's using some Xmas hops to bitter, 1 oz of Wakatu (7.1% aa). It should come out 1.060 OG with a 17 SRM and 5.9% abv, 30 ibu's.

After ordering the pressure cooker, I rearranged by brew cabinet, which had gotten pretty chaotic. Tossed some stuff that had outlived its useful life, organized things and made room for some new things that should be delivered soon.

Made a batch of apfelwein, then lugged a giant old cyclomatic fridge out to the curb from the basement (with a lot of help from my dad). Now I have more storage room for my brewing equipment. :)

Got a nice surprise at work this morning, and there was a little extra money for me at the end of the year. So, of course, I went right out to Northern Brewer and grabbed a Therminator and a Steelhead pump which, because of a promotion, came with nice stainless steel QDs and a SS ball valve. Sweet! I'll order the other couple fittings I need from bargainfittings.com over the weekend.

cleaned my brewshed a bit...made 2 crates for holding aging beer...opened my new pump-n-seal and tried it out of some of the 6 POUNDS of hops I just got in the mail... :) had one of my Imperial Blondes to see how it was coming along... great head but it needs a little time for all of the flavors to come together...

After having my first child, I made a yeast starter tonight for my first brew since our little boy was born, and my first attempt at a Heady Clone. Using GigaYeast Vermont IPA yeast. So excited!!!

Made a batch of apfelwein, then lugged a giant old cyclomatic fridge out to the curb from the basement (with a lot of help from my dad). Now I have more storage room for my brewing equipment. :)

Fridge was picked up off my curb less than an hour after putting it out. Got new shelving and rearranged some brewing equipment where the fridge used to be.

View attachment 1420257448191.jpg

congrats on the new family member! I'm steeping grain right now and about to go start a boil..."Moonshine Malt Liquor" kit that I got for Christmas...need to use these kits up before I start using my new 50# bag of 2 row!

Went to the LHBS and used my fantasy football winnings on grain for my next batch (Best Bitter), as well as star san, bottle caps, rice hulls, priming sugar and some yeast. Now I'm getting ready to start my first ever yeast starter.

Took a trip to the lhbs today and picked up some ingredients for my next batch and cleaned a few kegs. Might even do a couple more things tonight if I stop procrastinating.

Brewed a Star Anise Imperial Stout. First time brewing something with this high a gravity. Missed it by ten points but still got 1.102 so I'm not crying. Guess I'll adjust my notion of mash efficiency on these high grav brews.

Holy crap, 48 hours after ordering and it's in my hands. Amazon Prime, man.

Amazing when that happens, I ordered some stuff to make my manifold from a plumbing supplier, ordered at 6pm Day 1, arrived at 10am Day 2. 16 hours!

stopped at a nice liquor store in the "Big City" (50 miles away) and bought a couple sixes of mixed beer styles to try... then stopped at a friends house (25 miles away) and picked up a couple of cases of bottles...traded him some homebrew for them... came home and checked my Buried Hatchet Clone that is 2 1/2 days old...have it set at 13*C...just started bubbling today, so I'm celebrating with a Buried Hatchet Clone from the last batch. :) It has picked up a nice coffee flavor in the past week...

Checked the SG on my Fat Centennial Blonde today... 1.009 down from 1.052, going to come in around 5.6%. It tastes like a Budweiser with more malt... which is kind of good, I suppose. I made this to convert some naysayers and fill the pipeline with a quick brew.

Ran down to the LHBS and bought myself a shiny new Auto Siphon since my second racking cane broke at the bend (2nd in 3 months) when I was trying to get the vinyl tubing off the end. Going to pick up some new tubing one of these days too.

Try spraying the end of the tubing on the cane with some Starsan. work it in & it should help it slip. Got my ESB wort in the sink with cold water & a bunch of ice gel packs. Forgot a bag of ice. Not working as well as I thought, or I need to experiment with how many & what size packs to use. Sure would save money on the overall cost.:mug:

Back