Significant raise in alcohol contact @ priming?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cass

Reaction score
Just wondering if the alcohol content goes up a significant amount after priming. My IPA was sitting at 4% when I bottled it tonight, was wondering if the priming sugar would affect that at all.

Cass

Cass said:
Just wondering if the alcohol content goes up a significant amount after priming. My IPA was sitting at 4% when I bottled it tonight, was wondering if the priming sugar would affect that at all.

Cass
The remaining yeast in the bottle ferments the sugar creating CO2 which carbonates the beer. It doesn't produce enough alcohol to make an appreciable difference.

In the soada pop project I am researching with my kids they use 'natural carbonation' and everything I read mentions a 'negligible' alcohol content. Other than the original product (Beer .vs soda) the process should be the same ((I think, am I grasping this carbonation thing correctly everyone??))

for reasons unknown i checked once before and after priming and it was about .002 difference in gravity

westerntrout said:
for reasons unknown i checked once before and after priming and it was about .002 difference in gravity

you'd have to wait till the beer went 100% flat though otherwise it might be the carbonation bubbles lifting it a bit :)

Back