Tettnang and/or Spalt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

osagedr

Recovering from Sobriety
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Going to try a new Helles recipe this weekend and am wondering about hops. Made a nice Helles last year with all Hallertauer but right now I happen to have Tettnang and Spalt that need to be used.

Style guidelines are 16-22 IBU and somewhat of a focus on maltiness so I wouldn't want to go too late on a second hop addition. Does anyone have a suggestion on the hop additions? Right now I am thinking half an ounce of each at 45 minutes and half an ounce of each at 20 minutes. According to Beersmith that is going to get me very close to the top of the IBU range. Will a 20 minute addition overdo the hop flavour for this beer?

I wouldn't do any hop additions after 30 min on Munich Helles. 60 and 30 min thats what I usually use. Tettnang and/or Spalt should work just fine

If you need to use all of the hops, but decide to go with 60 and 30 min additions, then you might want to consider making a slightly larger batch if that's an option for you. This would help keep you in the IBU range, and then you wouldn't need to worry about tossing unused hops.

my best helles batches have been the ones with a single 60-minute addition, and i've made great ones with both of those hops but have never blended them. i'd say a 20-minute addition will certainly overdo it, i like the bigger batch idea if that's an option.

actually, are "spalt" and "spalter" the same hop? always wondered that....

I had success with tettnang. I would also skip any late hop additions. Its easy to overdo this style in terms of hops, alcohol, or even maltiness. Balance is important. I think at least a single decoction might actually be worth the effort here.

Ended up with 0.5 oz of each at 60 and 0.5 oz of each at 30. Given the AA of both this left me at 20.7 IBU which is under the max range for the style. Should be good. Thanks for the help!

Back