Risky Recommendation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mew

Reaction score
On his winemaking homepage, Jack Keller recommends using a 5 gal water container for aging wines so as not to tie up a carboy. That way you can make more wine while aging your original wines. I've heard that oxidation might be a problem with this method. Maybe more sulfites would protect the wine from this extra threat. I don't know. What do you think?

I'm a Jack keller fan, so it surprises me that he'd suggest aging in plastic. I wouldn't do it- I don't even age wine in my better bottles. I'd bottle and then age before I'd age in plastic water bottles. To me, there's just too much risk of oxidation in those plastic containers, and after all that time and effort I'm not willing to chance it. I bulk age in glass carboys, and if I need the carboy, I bottle the wine and age it. If the wine is clear and stabilized, and not throwing lees any more, it's ok to bottle.

Back