Was I supposed to stir in priming solution?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sportscrazed2

Reaction score
I just bottled my second batch the first time i used carb tabs. This time I went with the priming sugar option. I boiled for 5 minutes in 1 cup water and added it to bottom of bucket. I racked on top of it and didn't stir. What are the chances of it not getting mixed in well?

More than likely, you're just fine. Most of the time, you really shouldn't stir because you don't want to introduce oxygen to the fermented beer.

In my experience, a gentle stir can help distribute things if the wort is really cold (lager, for example). Otherwise, no need for concern.

I think it is good that you racked onto the sugar already in the bucket. Some amount of mixing will take place just because you are pouring liquid in and it creates turbulence. That is how I have always bottled, and I have never had a problem. My recommendation is gently swirl the bottles after 2 weeks to make sure all that sugar gets eaten up.

Should be fine. Generally, I put half of the priming sugar in before I rack and then add the other half when my bottling bucket is about 3/4 full.

Back