Winter Ale Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RWeather3

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to brew my pumpkin ale this weekend but of course I'm always looking ahead to the next. I want to make a winter ale with tones of fruit citrus nuts and spices. I'm not sure which ingredients/malts and adjuncn will give me what I'm looking for. I want a moderate hop flavor to it aswell but I'm not sure what to use there either. Any ideas?

Here is an interview that I found very helpful when deciding how to make my x-mas ale that I brewed a month or so ago. It was my first, so I haven't tasted it yet (and am planning on aging until the beginning of december), but one issue I had was when I combined the spices listed in most recipes, it didn't smell like a x-mas beer. Ended up going with mulling spices from williams sonoma, which had the aroma I was after. I'm not sure whether it was the addition of the orange and lemon peel, but the mulling spices definitely smell different. Anyway, I made up a simple syrup to pastuerize them and added it to the secondary. Hope some of this helps!

Edit: the link isn't working for some reason - copy and paste this:
http://www.examiner.com/home-brewin...rewing-and-the-christmas-ale-recipe-interview

Back