Hole Diameter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aekdbbop

Reaction score
Hey guys, what is the size of a hole saw do i need to drill the hole in the top of my sanyo (soon to be) kegerator?

merry Christmas!

Anywhere from 1.5" to 3" should do, but it really depends on your tower. I'd make it as small as possible to fit the lines (and fill it with Great Stuff as well) so you lose the least amount of energy.

chillHayze said:
Anywhere from 1.5" to 3" should do, but it really depends on your tower. I'd make it as small as possible to fit the lines (and fill it with Great Stuff as well) so you lose the least amount of energy.

Chill,

When you say Great Stuff, is that the brand name of some insulating foam or some such product?

I'm going to be drilling mine in the next week.

Squirt it upside down and find other areas that you might be able to use it on. Once you pop the can, you need to use it all.

That is a pretty good deal for an SS double tower...

As far as the hole... you have two 3/16 lines that need to go thru it. Side by side they are less than one inch. A hole that small will work. If you seal it off with foam or caulking the beer in the lines will get warm, but that is like 1 oz of beer mixed with the other 15 oz in your glass...insignificant. If you use a bigger hole and don't seal it you will have that 1/16th colder, but at the expense of more electricity due to the poor insulating properties of SS.

I think you might be going the wrong way in your thinking. You want the cold air to go up into the tower, especially if it's insulated (as mine is). The more of the beer line that is refrigerated, the better for your pour. If you have a 3" tower, then you should drill a 3" hole.

The tower in the link didn't specify whether or not it was insulated, but you could always put some closed cell foam sheet insulation around the outside to prevent any sweating of the tower. The rubber gasket will prevent any cold air leakage outside the fridge as long an you tighten it down enough.

Some discussions on this had people putting computer fans in the tower mouth to blow MORE cold air up there!

I did mine with a 3" hole saw and it works well. Next I'll be upgrading the faucets to forward sealing so the "stick" doesn't ruin my first pour as it does sometimes when I haven't been drinking fast enough.
:mug:

I've found the first pour will still foam some. I have a regular fridge setup in the garage and live in the sunbelt. Even with a warm tap only it causes foam until it cools from the cold brew. I pour a small taste into the glass first to cool the tap, suck down the foam and then pour a good brew.

If the tower is insulated itself then the hole should be bigger. If uninsulated - there is a tradeoff as I said previously.

Orpheus said:
Here's the one I got for X-Mas:

http://pivo.northernbrewer.com/nbstore/action/search-do?searchTerm=tower&x=0&y=0

I got the insulated double tap. I have no idea if it's forward seal or not...? It's a micro-matic brand.

hey orph, i like that.. it is not too much more (14 bucks) and it's insulated? How do you like it? Sucks that it doesnt come with tap handles, even though i was going to buy some new ones anyway...

does it come with the right connects for homebrewing?

Back