Add: 1/2 pack dry yeast, no starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheschire

Reaction score
Ive got one smackpack activator wyeast english ale 1028, and I was wondering if I could pitch half a pack of dry windsor ale yeast aswell as the smackpack instead of making a starter and also add a teaspoon of nutrients to the boil for a sufficient amount to ferment my beer?

Will the smackpack and the half package of activated dry yeast plus a bit 'o nutrients be enough or should I really make a starter?
OR just add in a full pack of dry rather than half?

I'd rather have more of the wyeast characters so thats why I'm not just pitching dry yeast...

EDIT: Im making a dead guy ale at 1.066 predicted OG, all grain batch (first one woot!)

I think that what would happen is that the Windsor yeast would still outnumber the Wyeast, and have it half way finished before the Wyeast yeast was even done reproducing.

would the wyeast plus some nutrients in the boil be sufficient rather than a starter?

The reason I'm avoiding a starter is for one thing, Ive never made one before and another, I dont have any LME or DME to make one with... only honey which apparently isn't good enough... I also plan on brewing at 7am tomorrow which is in 11.5hrs

would the wyeast plus some nutrients in the boil be sufficient rather than a starter?

The reason I'm avoiding a starter is for one thing, Ive never made one before and another, I dont have any LME or DME to make one with... only honey which apparently isn't good enough... I also plan on brewing at 7am tomorrow which is in 11.5hrs

What's the OG, and what is the date on the package?

Edit- I see the OG, and that's a little high to go without a starter. Even Wyeast doesn't suggest just pitching it without a starter with that OG. However, if the yeast is superfresh, you may be able to get away with it. Make sure you aerate the wort like your life depended on it, to ensure good oxygen levels for the yeast to reproduce.

do you think adding nutrients to the boil will help at all or is the smackpack already filled with a good enough amount?

Your vial should be 86% viable

For that batch you'll need 234 billion cells

The number of vials you'd need without a starter is 2.0

The number of vials you'd need with a starter is 1, the starter size would be 3L.

Those nutrients and the half packet should be enough, IMO.

Back