Water For ESB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeM

Reaction score
For my second all grain batch, I'm going to do an ESB. I'm not so crazy about my water so I'm going to pick some up at Sam's Club or the grocery store. Does anyone have any suggestions for type and brand of water to use?
Thanks,
Mike

Do you have a water report from your area? What makes you not like you local water?

I live in unincorporporated Deerfield, IL. Unlike most of the other Chicago suburbs that get their water from Lake Michigan, we have well water. The water report does not have that much useful information. This is what I got in the mail and also found online:

http://temp.lakecountyil.gov/PublicWorks/PublicInformation/Water Quality Reports/Pekara 2008.pdf

The water is very hard. We have a water softner but it is currenly not working. The culligan man is coming out tomorrow to fix it. I plan to get my water analyzed in the future but am currently to busy (lazy).

Thanks,
Mike

If your water tastes nasty don't brew with it. Or at least run it through a filter and see if it tastes better. I use something kinda like this. I've brewed with spring water from grocery stores and it came out just fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah well water... very unpredictable. I would look through the water reports to find a nicely balanced commercially available water you can buy in bulk. You should look in to reverse osmosis.

Back