• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Pyrex sightglass with stainless guard

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
19" of 1/2" OD thickwalled pyrex (borosilicate) glass tubing
2 high temp silicone orings to seal the tube to:
1/2 stainless compression elbow with 1/4" NPT threads towards the vessel.
Stainless tubing formed as a protective cover and slotted to view level

pyrexsight4.jpg

pyrexsight5.jpg

pyrexsight6.jpg

The top of the protective tube will accept a bolt to the top of your vessel with a spacer in between. I used a piece of beverage tubing as the spacer.

$50 shipped

I think the boiling thing is related to the fitting getting hot which would seem to be burner/pot dependent. Maybe the fact that the protective tube is touching the fitting would matter, acting as a heat sink.

This setup was the sight glass that I installed in my MLT and I did that because I was originally planning to fill it with strike water directly from my RV hose. I'm fine with filling the HLT first and then transferring so I'd rather not clean the sight for no reason.

This same installation did have a bubble problem in my BK but that was when i ran the 23 tip jet burners at full throttle and flames licked up the sides overheating the fitting. bdavanza, did you try it with a heat shield yet?

bobby i need one but i have the shield already and need 1/2 inch. so ill give others time to see if its what they need

very snazzy..nice work.
I just spray the fitting with a little sanitizer in a spray bottle when it heats up. Problem resolved.

I'm brewing right now, and the fitting does not boil during the rolling boil (with heat shield) but it did when I had the KAB4 cranked up to get to the boil. That's acceptable. I may need one more of those O rings though, it was leaking when I first started the boil.
cheers
-Ben

Back