A second kraeusen??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanadaBrews

Reaction score
i pitched my yeast in the primary on sat and two days ago the head of faom fell and the brew was just bubling like champaign and i was about to transfer into the carboy, but now theirs another head. This is funny i thought the "kraeusen only happens once. Does this mean my brew is gonna be stronger? or what? but now i think i gotta wait a bit more before i transfer into the secondary.
thanks just querious

One possibility is that it cooled down some and the yeast started to flocculate out.... then after a few days... realized that it wasn't getting any colder and started up again. You could probably tell how close to done you are by taking a hydro reading.

Actuall its kinda the opposite for a couple days i started out at around 71 F, then it when up to around 74 evan 76 F (it was kinda hot for a day or so) and now its down to 69/70. so im not sure why its kinda starting again.
btw what should my specific gravity be when im done? I didnt take one ot begin with.

CanadaBrews said:
btw what should my specific gravity be when im done? I didnt take one ot begin with.

only you can know that.

the ingredients in your kit or recipe will decide your OG and FG...

there are some experts around here that can help you if you post your recipe...

i used an extract kit, black rock nut brown ale. hmmmmmm maybe il just give it a week in primary then transfer.

I have had that happen a few times where I would get a second round of foam. The way that I judge a good time as to when to transfer to the secondary is when airlock activity slows down to about one bubble per 20 seconds... If I don't have a batch to do right after this one is ready, I'll sometimes even let it go to one bubble per 30 seconds... It doesn't hurt the beer any to stay in the primary for longer than needed... Transferring too fast into a secondary can sometimes affect the clarifying aspect of the secondary... As far as your OG, if you post your receipt, we can estimate what it should be... From my experience, the kits are always off by about .02 to .03 on the FG...

Back