S airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woopig

Reaction score
So I used an S-type airlock for the first time last night, and I'm confused by something. I filled it to where it was just at the "max" line on both chambers, but today one chamber is empty and the level on the other has been pushed up above the "max" line. Does this matter? Do I fill the empty chamber back up, or let it be?

As CO2 pressure builds, it will displace the water, or as the beer temp cools below ambient, it will create a 'suck back' in the other chamber. It's normal, RDWHAHB.

hope you don't mind a quick follow-up. if i'm leaving it in the primary for a few weeks, am i supposed to use that airlock hole stopper in place of the actual airlock? if not, what is that stopper for, it came with my kit but i don't know what to do with it. thanks again

Leave the airlock on the entire time the beer is in the primary. I dont know what the stopper is for...? Is your bucket lid one with a hole punched in it with a rubber gromet? Is the stopper drilled or solid?

yes, bucket lid has the drilled hold with rubber seal. stopper is solid, like a small little rubber cork. sounds like it's not important, so i'll just ignore it. maybe for using same lid on a secondary?

Back