What am I tasting in Belgian beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tekhna

Reaction score
In most Belgian beers there's a fruity pruney taste that I really don't like-Is it coming from the yeast? I sort of assumed it is, but could it be coming from the malts?

Thanks

Everyone calls it something different. It's like fruity eggs to me if that makes sense. SWMBO just calls it rotten. I'm drinking wit right now and it's definately there.

Depends on the beer. Special B can give a dark fruit flavor in belgian dubbels and specialty ales.

But, yes, usually most of the "fruitiness" come from that wonderful belgian yeast.

As much as I try to get into the Belgian beers I can't get paste this flavor profile that they all share. I know many people go crazy for Belgians but alas I have finally come to the conclusion that I just don't like them :( There are some that I do like such as Chimay Premier, but most as soon as I get that taste I'm turned off. To me it's the yeast because even American beers that are not true Belgian styles, if they use the Belgian yeasts I'm not likin' it!

Oh well I guess I'll just have to stick with the American, British and German styles :ban:

As much as I try to get into the Belgian beers I can't get paste this flavor profile that they all share. I know many people go crazy for Belgians but alas I have finally come to the conclusion that I just don't like them :( There are some that I do like such as Chimay Premier, but most as soon as I get that taste I'm turned off. To me it's the yeast because even American beers that are not true Belgian styles, if they use the Belgian yeasts I'm not likin' it!

Oh well I guess I'll just have to stick with the American, British and German styles :ban:

I think I'm on the same page as you. Nasty.

Personally I'm not a fan of most stouts:eek:, so I don't make them. That's the cool part of the hobby. We can all make what we like and all agree that simply making beer is what binds us. There are a few around this board that think that truly exceptional beer can only be made with the all-grain process. That may be true, but I like what I make and I don't brew all-grain and I don't brew stouts at the moment and am perfectly happy with that. If you don't like the Belgians you're probably not alone. The three Belgian beers that I've brewed (blond, tripel, wit) all share a similar yeast character. I like it, but that's me.

wheat, spices and belgian yeast will certainly create some different flavors :D

I used the new Wyeast 3864 Canadian/Belgian (Unibroue) in a belgian pale ale. Yum. Dried cherry heaven in the fruit. I can't wait for my Maudite clone to be done.

+1000000000000000000 For Belgian styles. No beer is for everyone. Especially those with unique characteristics. I guess you guys better just stick to APA extract kits for beginners... HAHA Just kidding...

I like a good belgian every once in a while, but it's on my list to buy, not brew. Not sure what I'd do with 5 gallons of it, but give me a 4-pack of La Fin Du Monde every once in a while, and I'll be happy.

The funkiest brew I ever made was a Saison we made for the desert trip last year. Crazy, CRAZY funk in there. It was my favorite beer of the weekend :D

Super Satanic Saison

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

16-C Belgian & French Ale, Saison

Min OG: 1.048 Max OG: 1.080
Min IBU: 25 Max IBU: 45
Min Clr: 5 Max Clr: 12 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 12.50
Anticipated OG: 1.069 Plato: 16.85
Anticipated SRM: 5.3
Anticipated IBU: 33.3
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 7.10 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.054 SG 13.23 Plato

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
% Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager

Additional Utilization Used For Plug Hops: 2 %
Additional Utilization Used For Pellet Hops: 10 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
40.0 5.00 lbs. Briess LME- Pilsner America 1.035 4
24.0 3.00 lbs. Pilsener Germany 1.038 2
16.0 2.00 lbs. Vienna Malt America 1.035 4
12.0 1.50 lbs. Clover Honey Generic 1.035 0
8.0 1.00 lbs. Flaked Soft White Wheat America 1.034 2

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 oz. Fuggle Pellet 4.00 18.0 90 min.
0.50 oz. Fuggle Pellet 4.50 10.1 90 min.
1.00 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 4.20 5.3 20 min.

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.20 Oz Irish Moss Fining 15 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP568 Belgian Style Saison Ale Yeas

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Grain Lbs: 6.00
Water Qts: 8.00 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 2.00 - Before Additional Infusions

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.33 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 152 Time: 45
Mash-out Rest Temp : 0 Time: 0
Sparge Temp : 164 Time: 15

Total Mash Volume Gal: 2.48 - Dough-In Infusion Only

All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

Notes
-----

Adding Honey 4-5 days into primary.

Honey was from various local california sources (mixture). NOT clover.

The first couple time I had a Belgian, the flavor was a bit odd to me. Now Belgians are probably my second favorite style next to IPA's. I love that flavor.

there was a time when i did not like belgians, i also did not like stouts either. I kept trying ones that friends had bought and eventually drank victory brewings golden monkey belgian triple and rouge's shakespere stout. I liked them both so much i bought some other triples and oatmeal stouts and loved them, then i brewed a triple and the shakespere stout clone and now i cant get enough of either. you just have to find the ones you like.

Back