Need a good BELGIAN WIT recipe. EXTRACT BASED!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgough

Reaction score
Hey all! Im just getting started brewing (3rd batch), and I'm looking for a good extract based WIT recipe.

First off, could I just use Wheat malt extract and then steep flaked oats or flaked wheat for mouthfeel?

Or, would it be worth my time to try a mini-mash for this style( This makes me a little nervous because I've never tried it.)

Thanks in advance~:tank:

I was just looking for the same thing. Search the recipe and extract brewing forums (or you can just do a general search for belgian wit extract recipe). There are a lot, can't vouch for how good they are though.

I brewed this one on Sunday so I can’t comment on how it tastes but it does use extracts as you requested. It is from the Extreme Brewing book by Sam Calagione of Dogfish Head. It was contributed by Rob Tod of Allagash Brewing Company and is a clone recipe for Allagash White (Belgian Wit). Note: “secret spice” is described as a “pinch of the spice of your choosing”.

Preboil

6 gallons water

Boil

6.6 lbs. 40% wheat/ 60% barley liquid malt extract or:
3.3 lbs. light/pilsner malt extract and 3.3 lbs 100% wheat malt extract (75 minutes)

3/4 oz. Tettnanger (60 minutes)

3/4 oz. Saaz (60 minutes)

1/4 oz. Saaz (flameout)

1/4 oz. crushed coriander (flameout)

1/4 oz. bitter orange peel (flameout)

1 pinch "secret spice" (flameout)
"secret spice" (anise, cinnamon, vanilla, pepper, or ginger) your choice

5 oz. priming sugar

Yeast

WhiteLabs WLP400 or WLP410 or Wyeast 3944 or 3463 ferment at 70 degrees

OG: 1.048
FG: 1.010

Thanks! This one looks good! I might try steeping some flaked wheat to make it slightly creamier.

I think I'll try and post this in the recipe forum also, to see if anyone has one they've tried and tested

just ordered a Belgian Wit kit from Austin Homebrew supply. Liquid extract kit, i think it was like 31 bucks with bottle caps

I brewed this Blue Moon clone 3 weeks ago (as my third batch as well) and after 1 week in the bottle its already very good and close to blue moon. It comes out very clear when warm, but I like how it looks with some chill haze on it. It wasnt very hard to make at all.

Type: Extract

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 66.67 %
1.00 oz Liberty [4.30 %] (60 min) Hops 10.6 IBU
0.50 oz Liberty [4.30 %] (10 min) Hops 1.9 IBU
1.00 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 min)
1.00 oz Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 1.0 min)
2.50 lb Honey (1.0 SRM) Sugar 33.33 % (used orange blossom honey)
5.00 gal Water
1 Pkgs Belgian Ale (Wyeast Labs #1214) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.061 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.071 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.98 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 7.97 %
Bitterness: 12.5 IBU Calories: 318 cal/pint
Est Color: 3.5 SRM Color: Color

Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Corn Sugar Volumes of CO2: 2.7
Pressure/Weight: 5.0 oz Carbonation Used: -
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 70.0 F Age for: 21.0 days
Storage Temperature: 70.0 F

Primary for 7 days and secondary for 7 days.

It was contributed by Rob Tod of Allagash Brewing Company and is a clone recipe for Allagash White (Belgian Wit). Note: “secret spice” is described as a “pinch of the spice of your choosing”.

Let me know how close to Allagash this turns out.

What did you use for the secret spice? What do people think it is? A hint of cloves, maybe?

just ordered a Belgian Wit kit from Austin Homebrew supply. Liquid extract kit, i think it was like 31 bucks with bottle caps

I brewed this one as my first attempt a few months age. It came out wonderful, great flavor. I'd definitely recommend it.

I brewed this Blue Moon clone 3 weeks ago (as my third batch as well) and after 1 week in the bottle its already very good and close to blue moon. It comes out very clear when warm, but I like how it looks with some chill haze on it. It wasnt very hard to make at all.

Ingredients
5.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 66.67 %
1.00 oz Liberty [4.30 %] (60 min) Hops 10.6 IBU
0.50 oz Liberty [4.30 %] (10 min) Hops 1.9 IBU
1.00 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 min)
1.00 oz Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 1.0 min)
2.50 lb Honey (1.0 SRM) Sugar 33.33 % (used orange blossom honey)
5.00 gal Water
1 Pkgs Belgian Ale (Wyeast Labs #1214) Yeast-Ale

I couldn't help noticing that this Blue Moon clone doesn't contain any wheat malt. Seems a little strange to me.

I brewed up the Allagash White clone recipe mentioned above. I steeped 1lb of flaked wheat, went with the WLP400 and decided on cinnamon for my 'secret spice'. My final volume after boil was just over 5.5 gallons and my OG was 1.040. Just waiting on the yeasties to kick it into gear. After this is done I'm going to use the yeast cake for an all-grain Belgian Blonde kit from Midwest.

Witbier is a really weird style that's easy to approximate but damned difficult to nail.

Sorry to burst your bubble, guys, but it's impossible to brew traditional Witbier using extract/steep methods. Why? You cannot steep flaked grains and extract anything worthwhile out of them. Not mouthfeel, not nuthin'. They must be mashed. It's also damned difficult to get the milky white color with extracts; extract-based beers usually end up too dark.

But don't let that get you down! Just don't use flaked grains and ignore the color! :D I've had good success using wheat malt extract and a bit of maltodextrin at bottling time added to taste for the body-enhancing qualities of the flaked grains.

Really, brewing tasty Wit can be pretty simple:

1. Enough Wheat extract to get to OG 1.050. For color's sake, I recommend as much DME as is convenient.

2. One addition of noble hops, like Saaz or Hallertau, no more than 18 IBU. By no means add flavor/aroma hops. Not only is such an addition not true to style, not only does it always mask the delicate flavors and aromas of the spices, it screams "I'm a homebrewer who doesn't know any better, so I overhop things". Don't be that guy. ;)

3. Get creative with spices. You can use the good ol' Coriander and Orange Peel combo and be fine. But things get really, really interesting when you start adding hints of different spices. I like Paradise Seed and Star Anise (be really careful with that one; it's easy to go overboard).

4. Use the correct yeast. This is not a place for Nottingham. Use a true Wit yeast.

5. Drink it young. Homebrewed Witbier is so delicious because it's fresh. Don't waste time in a secondary. When the ferment is finished (confirmed by hydrometer), bottle it up and drink it when it's ready.

Those are my thoughts on Witbier. You should be able to read through the HBT database with those thoughts in mind; hopefully it'll help you select the right recipe for you.

Cheers!

Bob

NQ3X, thanks for the tips. I'm not expecting my brew to turn out as anything but a drinkable learning experiment. I'll see how this turns out and go from there.

Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 3.00 gal
Boil Time: 60 min

Ingredients

4.00 lb Wheat Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 33.33 %
1.00 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 16.67 %
1.00 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00 %] (60 min) Hops 8.5 IBU
1.00 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00 %] (10 min) Hops 5.1 IBU
1.00 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1.00 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1.00 oz Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1.00 lb Candi Sugar, Clear (0.5 SRM) Sugar 16.67 %
1 Pkgs Belgian Wit Ale (White Labs #WLP400) [Starter 1000 ml]

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.043 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.010 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.32 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.69 %
Bitterness: 16.6 IBU Calories: 202 cal/pint
Est Color: 5.5 SRM Color:

I've brewed the Blue Balls Clone a few times and have enjoyed it. Basically a Blue Moon Clone with extract. Essentially:

3 lbs. Extra Light DME
3 lbs. Extra Light Wheat DME
Plus the coriander, orange peel, etc.

Be careful not to scorch the extract.

I brewed this one on Sunday so I can’t comment on how it tastes but it does use extracts as you requested. It is from the Extreme Brewing book by Sam Calagione of Dogfish Head. It was contributed by Rob Tod of Allagash Brewing Company and is a clone recipe for Allagash White (Belgian Wit). Note: “secret spice” is described as a “pinch of the spice of your choosing”.

Preboil

6 gallons water

Boil

6.6 lbs. 40% wheat/ 60% barley liquid malt extract or:
3.3 lbs. light/pilsner malt extract and 3.3 lbs 100% wheat malt extract (75 minutes)

3/4 oz. Tettnanger (60 minutes)

3/4 oz. Saaz (60 minutes)

1/4 oz. Saaz (flameout)

1/4 oz. crushed coriander (flameout)

1/4 oz. bitter orange peel (flameout)

1 pinch "secret spice" (flameout)
"secret spice" (anise, cinnamon, vanilla, pepper, or ginger) your choice

5 oz. priming sugar

Yeast

WhiteLabs WLP400 or WLP410 or Wyeast 3944 or 3463 ferment at 70 degrees

OG: 1.048
FG: 1.010
I've been looking for a Wit recipe, thanks for posting :mug:

Thanks for all the help guys. This was originally my post, but since then, I have decided on a mini-mah. This is the recipe I've come up with. I plan on using Deathbrewer's technique, since I've been told a mini mash is the ONLY way to produce an authentic wit:

Belgian Wit (Nit Wit)
Brew Type: Partial Mash Date: 2/21/2009
Style: Witbier Brewer: Brendan
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Volume: 6.00 gal Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 % Equipment: 2 Brew Pots (4 Gallon each)

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU

0.50 lb Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 5.88 %

1.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 11.76 %
1.00 lb Wheat Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 11.76 %

3.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 35.29 %
2.00 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 23.53 %
1.00 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 11.76 %

1.00 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (60 min) Hops 15.1 IBU
0.75 oz Coriander Seed (flameout) Misc
0.75 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (flameout) Misc
1 Pkgs Belgian Wit Ale (White Labs #WLP400) Yeast-Wheat

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.048 SG (1.044-1.052 SG) Estimated