Dryhoping in Primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wjjohnson

Reaction score
Howdy! This is my question, I just brewed a Double IPA on saturday the 27th. I dryhoped it when I put it in the primary, thought that might add some more hoppiness to it. Did I just waste my time and hops by doing this or will it help at all? I just read that the Co2 will blow out all the aroma of the hops. I noticed that I could really smell the hops in my brewing room were the beer was fermenting. Again, was this a waist or will it help at all? I dry hopped with 1oz chinook 1oz cascade and 1oz cenn. Thank you!

It's not so much that the CO2 will carry off the aroma, but rather the yeast will scrub away much of the hop oils if fermentation is still going on. Yeasties are ravenous- first eating all the sugars, then the by-products of fermentation. They'll consume much of the precious hop oils too.

Thanks guys, so I should just dry hop it some more when fermentaion is done. I got greedy and used my secondary for another brew I did for my wife. I have Perle, Northern Brewer, Cascade, Pheonix, fuggles, willamete left over. Which of these should I use if the brew is not so hoppy. I used all my fresh chinook on my brew in question. I loved chinook, it smelled awesome! Shame I wasted it by dryhoping it in the primary! Thanks again for all the help!

Taste it before you decide to dryhop more. You could end up overdoing it, and then you will have to wait a while for it to mellow out.

I doubt you wasted it. More likely "might" not have gotten all the potential from it. It should turn out fine regardless.

Back