smoked malts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ESROHDE

Reaction score
Is it possible to buy whole malted grains from the brewshop and then place them in a smoker to mimic the Scottish whiskey makers process? Just long enough to impart a subtle flavor i'm guessing.

I suppose you could smoke the grain yourself, but to get the Scottish whisky aroma/flavor you'd need to use peat.

I'm thinking of using their process but with select woods to create an original flavor profile. Thanks

Search is your friend.

Here is a good post I made about my smoking adventures. Read the linked article.

Here is the full thread.

and some further reading on my smoked porter:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f77/smokey-boggart-porter-59670/

Also, you will only, very very very slightly roast the grains, they do darken very slightly, but not significantly.

I would not smoke with peat. Scotch ales are not peat smoked. That is a common misconception. The peaty flavor is not from peat smoke but rather from peoples imaginations, or another aspect of the brewery's process.

I think you have the right idea on different wood choices. The smoking wood will impart a flavor and the flavors will be noticeable depending on the degree of smoke added to the grains.

Good luck!

Is it possible to buy whole malted grains from the brewshop and then place them in a smoker to mimic the Scottish whiskey makers process? Just long enough to impart a subtle flavor i'm guessing.

Yes, I did it using pale malt, peat from garden shop and barbecue.
I used this peat malt in scottish ales with good results, until I was informed, that peat malt shouldn't be used in this beer...or any other beer :(

Yes, I did it using pale malt, peat from garden shop and barbecue.
I used this peat malt in scottish ales with good results, until I was informed, that peat malt shouldn't be used in this beer...or any other beer :(

Oh peated malt can be used in beer, and if you like the result then it should be. Although, a word to the wise is that it is a dangerous ingredient that should be used sparingly. I was simply pointing out that it isn't traditionally in Scotch ales.

That is pretty awesome you made your own!

FYI the peat character in scotch ales comes from the yeast, not the grains.

I've been considering a smoked porter myself and that recipe looks excellent!

Oooooohhhh good info, I couldn't remember where the flavor came from. Thanks!

Thanks for the compliment! This was far and away the best beer I have made. I will be trying to duplicate the magic a little later in the year so it is ready for fall. I really feel the key was in the smoke used, the flavors were just great!

Oooooohhhh good info, I couldn't remember where the flavor came from. Thanks!

Thanks for the compliment! This was far and away the best beer I have made. I will be trying to duplicate the magic a little later in the year so it is ready for fall. I really feel the key was in the smoke used, the flavors were just great!
I'm putting that at the top of my to-brew list, my brother and my sister will just have to wait for their weizen. :D

Oh peated malt can be used in beer, and if you like the result then it should be. Although, a word to the wise is that it is a dangerous ingredient that should be used sparingly. I was simply pointing out that it isn't traditionally in Scotch ales.

Oh, I heard it in Jamil Z. show about scottisch ales, and I'm willing to try to do them his way. My ales with peat malt are quite good, but without it they might be even better - who knows...

Latest posts

Back