Ketltle Upgrade Whirlpool - Hopstand Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old_tx_kbb

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I recently decided to upgrade my 5 gallon per batch system to a 10 gallon per batch system.

The previous kettle configuration was a 10 gallon Blichmann w/ false bottom as my MLT; and two 10.25 gallon Polarware economy pots w/ SS 2 piece valve for HLT and boil kettle (no built-in thermometers - I always measured by hand). These will be added to the For Sale Forum today...but I'll post a pic here. So for anyone interested in going all grain...these kettles might just be for you.

My new configuration uses two 15 gallon MegaPot 1.2 kettles for the HLT and MLT; and a 20 gallon MegaPot 1.2 kettle for my BK I bought just the pots only with the holes pre-drilled for valves and thermometers. I added Blichmann adjustable thermometers and 3 piece valves to each. To the MLT and BK I had 1 extra hole drilled in each. The MLT extra hole will be used as the recirculation port as I plan this to be a direct fired RIMS. The BK's extra hole is for a whirlpool arm.

When using my previous setup, I used a SS hop spider to do a hopstand at the end of my boil. On my new setup I want to continue doing hopstands, but my thought is that afterwards use a pump assisted whirlpool to help keep debris out of my fermenter and plate chiller. Is this a sound concept?

Another hopstand question. Will I get just as much aroma/flavor doing hopstands vs. using my hop rocket.....or should I possibly consider using both processes for IPA's and IIPA's?

Also, I plan to be adding my old setup into the classified section before the end of the day.

Let me know your thoughts ...your opinions will all be appreciated....

New 15 gal HLT  15 gal MLT  20 gal BK small.jpg

For Sale 1 small.jpg

Back