Thoughts from a hop head

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justbrewit

Zythos Conisseur
Reaction score
i was thinking about brewing and me being a major hop head, i was thinking about doing an ale that has like a pound of hops in it. doing an 80 mins boil and adding one once of hops every 5 mins during the boil. just to see what happens, i was thinking about using either northern brewer or cascade through the whole thing, you know stick with one type of hops. maybe every so often do one brew like this and use one different type each time and maybe get a really good idea of how each type tastes and smells. thoughs???

Any thoughts? Yeah, plenty...:eek:

Have you ever talked with anyone who has tried this? Know anyone who would admit to it?

I'm really just concerned about you wasting good malt and hops for no reason. But if you really want to try it PLEASE do keep us informed.:D

i just really like hops and i want to get the most flavor i can from them in all spectrums, bitter, flavor, nose, every thing. i'm looking for the IBU's to be in the 100's maybe the 200's. i'll be trying this next year and will keep you all posted. if i can figure out how to do the web cam thing like orfy i'll broadcast it.

orfy, i'm not making changes, i'm making a new recipe that i've never tried, i haven't started looking at my grains yet, but i can tell you that it will be an extract brew

i'll also be using whole hops for this, i'm going to place an order for about 30 pounds of hops once i get back to cali.

justbrewit,

Go for it, homebrewing is about being creative. Try it if it's not good try something else. I would suggest you think about dry hopping to get some of the awsome aroma of hops into your brew. I think sometimes dryhops help to balance the high IBU beers.

TT

justbrewit,

Do you have access to a hopback you could use...I'm sure that would help your cause! Go for it, either way. Dogfish head has a 90-minute IPA as well, and I love it!

i'll also be adding like 3 or 4 oz of hops to the brew for a dry hop in the secondary. i was think about cutting back the boil to 60 mins that would give me 12 one ounce hops additions and then add 4 oz to dry hop.

Sounds like a great idea. I've never gone over 12 oz. in a batch, but that could change if I have a good hop crop in 2006.

Back