Honey in bottom of joes quick grape

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stoichiometry

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm making my first mead- joes quick grape (substitued the yeast for a red star variety that I can get locally). My question is regarding honey at the bottom of my carboy. It's been about 5 days- we are off gassing thru an airlock, but I noticed a lot of undissolved honey at the bottom. I tried a stir plate/stir bar but the viscosity is too high for the stir plate. Should I try to use a glass rod or something to dissolve the honey or will the yeast chomp thru it?

Kindly,
M

You could whip it up by swirling the carboy around. Or just leave it- the yeast will attach that sugar no matter where it sits.

It should be just fine...if bread yeast can eat through the 3.5lbs of honey in JAOM the red star should have no problem...Which yeast did you use?

Thanks! I was worried that the yeast wouldn't chomp thru it.

I'm using red star Pasteur champagne.

Thanks! I was worried that the yeast wouldn't chomp thru it.

I'm using red star Pasteur champagne.
Hum? not all champoo yeasts are equal....

The redstar one is quoted as 13 to 15% ABV, Lalvins EC-1118 is 18%. Without looking up the recipe and chucking it through the mead calculator at Gotmead, I can't say, but there's a possibility that it might finish a bit sweeter.

Which may or may not be an issue.......

Your mead, your choice......

Hey Stoichiometry, reading and responding to your post sparked my brewing addiction again (it always seems to be on a Sunday night) and I just got the itch to make a gallon of Joes Quick Grape Mead. Ran to the store and bought 64fl ounces of Welches and 2lbs of clover honey. I'm using 1/2 a packet of K1V-1116 (since my last batch came out on the sweet side with me using too much honey) this time.

Before pitching the yeast, I got a gravity of 1.115. What was the SG on your batch?

No this is my first time making grape mead sampled it today it is delicious. The wife said I need to put another batch on right away lol so I guess it was a hit.

That's how it goes.....started my first batch about 2 years ago and the wife has me making a new batch every 2-4 months on a regular basis.

Good stuff!!!

Back