Hop threshold for clogging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epateddy

Reaction score
Hey all.

Anyone have a general rule of thumb re: how much hops will clog your spigot? I've got a 10 gallon Boilermaker, and I've also built hop sock. I typically don't use it (assuming I get better utilization) unless I've got a recipe that seems like it uses a lot of hops. Did an IPA last night with 1 oz additions at 60, 25, 15, 10, 2 and 0 min. Whirlpooled and still had a clog at the spigot. Had my hand in the hop sock too, but didn't use it.

Didn't think 6 ounces of hops was THAT much. Maybe it had more to do with the late additions.

Thoughts/suggestions appreciated.

One or a few hop flowers could clog the spigot really. I would look at adding a bazooka tube to your boil kettle. Some also will get a false bottom and dip tube. I think the later is most efficient as it will normally result in more wort as it is drawing from the bottom of the vessel.

Currently i use a bazooka tube that I bought from bargainfittings.com. I think it was $10. Just make sure that you can thread it on to the inside of the kettle.

IMO a $10 purchase is worth it. No more hop bags, which are cheap if you have 6 hop additions in a brew then you them up quick. The bazooka tube will pay for itself in a year ir less. Also, I prefer to have my hops happily float along in the boil rather than be jammed together in a hop bag/sock.

Thanks. Forgot to add a few details. I'm using pellets. Hear those are more likely to clog than whole leafs. And my boilermaker has a dip tube. So I'm pulling from (close to) the bottom. Can you get a bazooka screen for a dip tube?

IMO leaf hops would be more likely to cause a clog than pellet hops. I use a 5 gallon paint strainer bag clipped to the side of my pot. IMO this gives the hops plenty of room for the wort to circulate through. I just add the hops at the proper time, swirl the bag around then remove all that trub from the pot when the boil is done. I don't have a greatly educated palate so I don't know how much it changes the final product if any. I have not had any issues, personally, with the results.

Maybe you could use a false bottom above the dip tube.

Would a false bottom solve the clogging problem? Don't know much about them when used in a boil kettle. If so, is it worth spending the money on the blichmann fb (~$75), or is there a better/more affordable version? Seems like a lot to spend vs. building a hop spider. Wondering how noticeable the decrease in utilization (with the spider) would be to the average palette.

Back