Major Fermentation now at a Halt!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robeastunder

Reaction score
I have an ambitious project, 45 gallon JD barrel and filled with cider from the local orchard. Friends with the orchard so we only had to buy the barrel. We added sugar, honey, raspberry's and yeast. For the first month i had to make my own airlock since the smaller lock i had kept getting all the water blown out of it since my cider was fermenting so hard. I ended up putting a sap hose in the hole of the bung and putting it the other end in a jug of water. Worked great, and my cider bubbled fast for 3-4 weeks. Now its slowed down enough for me to use my smaller airlock, and now its only bubbling every 15-20 seconds. The temp of my basement is anywhere from 50-60 degrees depending on when we use our wood boiler. My long winded question is, is my basement to cold and is my cider now fermenting to slow for its age (1 month old). Thanks everybody!

Sounds like fermentation is pretty much done. You should take a gravity reading with a hydrometer to be sure.

Temp is dependent on the type of yeast. What did you use?

I'm still a bit of a noob with ciders, but doesn't a bubble every 15-20 seconds at temps between 50-60º F still sound like it's fermenting? Or is this just some sort of off gassing?

btw...45 gals! that's awesome. Post a pick of the barrel if you can. I'd love to see that sucker.

I will get a picture for you all tonight for sure, and for the first response, we used a champagne yeast. I don't have a hydrometer, but i will look to pick one up. And ya im just nervous that its slowed down to much after only being in the barrel for a month. My brothers friend is doing the same thing, added different ingredients and used the natural yeast that is in the cider. His raged for 2 weeks and is now happily bubbling along once every 3-4 seconds. And we started at the same time. Now if its normal for it to bubble only every 15-20 seconds at temps between 50-60 then i will stop worrying. Thanks guys!!

Champagne yeasts are typically very aggressive for a relatively short time, and tend to take the gravity and sugars down really quickly. Your bro's friend's batch will ferment longer as the wild yeasts are not so aggressive at ripping through the sugars. I'd take a hydrometer sample, if the gravity is near 1.000 I wouldn't worry. Ride it out and it will be good.

Back