Chest Freezer Humps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockweezy

Reaction score
I recently made a 2 changes in my a keezer and have seen a huge jump in the electric bill ($80) without any other major changes in electricity uses in the house.

First, I revamped my keezer collar to connect it to the lid and stain the new wood a different color. I haven't yet attached foam to inside collar however. I know I need to do that. Checked it with a flashlight and can't detect any noticeable leaks.

Next, I have a 5 gallon plastic canister (like one for dog food) on the hump filled with water that pumps through my wort chiller placed in my water bath. Maybe my chest freezer is running all the time (for an hour sometimes) because of this. Regardless, this can't go on like this.

I would look elsewhere for an electrical problem...A/C, hair dryers, clothes washers/dryers, fans running 24/7 because of the heat? even if your chest freezer ran 5 hours a day that wouldn't cost an extra 80 bones, unless your paying .75 per Kwh or more. Perhaps a pool pump running more? Its summer all your fridges are running more!

Electrical draws can be found (or at least the start of locating them) by looking at your meter and having someone turn off 1 breaker at a time untill you find the 1 that is spinning your meter real fast. Make sure all compressors (A/C, and all fridges/freezers) are on at the time of testing.
Sounds odd to have an $80 jump from month to month. Did your rates go up? Call your city..
Cheers
Jay

Get thee to Home Despot and buy a Kill-A-Watt and hook it up to your keezer. That will tell the tale.

I would check to make sure that you didn't bollix the seal on the keezer when you did your mods. But Jaybird's right...$80 is an awfully big jump from just a keezer. Especially with those cool ocean breezes...

Back