'Liquid Crack' feeling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewDey

Reaction score
In college, my friends and I frequented this local brewpub. We dubbed one of their brews 'liquid crack' for the following reasons:
When you'd drink a pint, you'd get a pretty intense alcohol and body buzz that would subside not too long afterwards. Of course, it was really tasty stuff so you'd want the taste and the buzz some more. No matter how much money I'd bring to that pub, I'd never go home with any...yet it was very rare that people got really sloppy or out of control...yet the beer seemed much stronger than standard brews.

The feeling from macrobrews or even the bigger craft brews like Sam Adams, etc...is that they 'accumulate' more, as in-if you drink a lot, even over a long period of time-you'll get groggier and sloppier. But in this recent batch of homebrew-the buzz is similar to that of the liquid crack.

Does this make any sense? Is there any chemical reason that the body handles microbrew/homebrews different than the bigger ones?

We used to drink the bum wine Cisco back in the day.. I swear they put "liquid crack" in there because I could never drink more than one bottle without becoming completely "cracked"out feeling.

Well, depending on how your brewpub did things, you may have been drinking unfiltered beer, so perhaps you were getting some yeast sediment which is full of vitamin B, one of the vitamins whose loss will contribute to a hangover. What was the 'liquid crack' called?

ayrton said:
What was the 'liquid crack' called?

The vitamin B makes sense because it would give you a bit of a jolt of energy too. It was the Barrelhouse in Cincy...all the beers were similar in this way, but they had 'Honeysuckle Blond' that was the particular culprit...it went down so easy.

BrewDey said:
The vitamin B makes sense because it would give you a bit of a jolt of energy too. It was the Barrelhouse in Cincy...all the beers were similar in this way, but they had 'Honeysuckle Blond' that was the particular culprit...it went down so easy.

Looking at some reviews of it, it looks like it actually has some honey in it, which contains even more vitamin B, although I'm not sure if that survives the boil.

I have never had a beer (or any other alcoholic beverage) that even remotely approximates a coke or crack buzz. *shrug*

kornkob said:
I have never had a beer (or any other alcoholic beverage) that even remotely approximates a coke or crack buzz. *shrug*
Agreed, but mezcal, for me, comes close. Especially when you spill some of a $200 bottle and you are *forced* to snort it off the table.

.....I didn't say that. :D

I fear my Maibock may fall into that category. It's on the Beano diet, down to 1.026 now and I just threw in one last tablet (for a total of four). I took a sample and tasted it.

First, after sitting still for a month and a half, it's the clearest beer I've ever made. Also the lightest. It tastes like water. I can discern almost no flavor to speak of. Very little body as well. I could drink 4 glasses and like drinking water, I wouldn't hesitate to have another...

But it's at 6% ABV and counting!!!!

BrewDey said:
In college, my friends and I frequented this local brewpub. We dubbed one of their brews 'liquid crack' for the following reasons:
When you'd drink a pint, you'd get a pretty intense alcohol and body buzz that would subside not too long afterwards. Of course, it was really tasty stuff so you'd want the taste and the buzz some more. No matter how much money I'd bring to that pub, I'd never go home with any...yet it was very rare that people got really sloppy or out of control...yet the beer seemed much stronger than standard brews.

The feeling from macrobrews or even the bigger craft brews like Sam Adams, etc...is that they 'accumulate' more, as in-if you drink a lot, even over a long period of time-you'll get groggier and sloppier. But in this recent batch of homebrew-the buzz is similar to that of the liquid crack.

Does this make any sense? Is there any chemical reason that the body handles microbrew/homebrews different than the bigger ones?

I know what your saying. After my first HB I immediately noticed this feeling. You know its different and hard to describe the physical difference. I think of it as just getting mellow. I've gone out to the brew pubs and usually have to take SWMBO otherwise I'd be DUI material. You don't want to stop drinking. This is what it was like at my 40th B-day last year. We went to a place called Granite City Brewery (Its a chain!). I like their IPA the best.

http://www.gcfb.net/appetizers.htm#Brewery Selections

http://www.gcfb.net/default.htm

Back