Is this fryer setup good for full boil/allgrain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctufano

Reaction score
Bought this today for a crawfish boil I'm having tomorrow (mmmm, mudbugsssss)

I have been wanting to do all grain and full boils, so figured I may as well buy a 'nicer' kit (SS rather than aluminum) to do so. Its a 58,000 BTU burner, SS wind guard and stand, and a 30qt SS pot with a spigot built in!

Will the fact I'm boiling up 45# crawfish and who knows how much veggies and such in creole juice matter, and possibly affect the taste of the future beer I put through it?

Kit found here

Not an expert but I wouldnt use the same pot to make beer. Almost anything i've read says to not use brewpots for anything but brewing and to wash them with non scented cleaners such as PBW ect...

On the other hand, you could try it and maybe you won't taste it.......I wouldn't though.

Since it is SS, I might try it. SS cleans off well and is less likely to hold odor than Al.

Mmm, Cajun brew, sounds good to me!

I wouldn't think the SS pot would have any probs with carrying over tastes from its last contents. If it were seasoned cast iron it would be an issue.

That looks like a sweet setup to me.

Cool. I figure if I wash it right away it will prevent the 'flavoring' of the pot

I bought two kits, one for me and one for a colleague. I could probably convince him to swap pots with me ;)

Dito, SS is fine (cast iron, not so much). There's a reason why it's used in cookware. 5 star chefs can't have flavors carry over from dish to dish. Clean well (including valves) and I would be shocked if you notice any carry over flavors. If it was a mash tun with a manifold with lots of little nooks and crannies, then it's a different story. As long as you can clean it well, it'll be fine.

Man, if only the pot was bigger that would be a great BIAB setup at a great price. Even as it is, that is a great price for that setup. Depending on the boiloff, 7.5 will be tight for a full boil. I would bet you have at least 1 gal boiloff in an hour, so you have to start with around 6.5 gallons preboil and account for some trub loss. 6.5 will be tight. I would highly suggest using some fermcap to avoid any boilover. Add a few drops as you get up to boiling temp and you shouldn't have a problem.

I dunno what BIAB is :p I've not done any research, for the most part, on full boils. I have read here and there about 10 gallons and stuff, but, I dont know what that is.

I guess when I do I'll def need fermcap and caution and control over the gas :p

Back