Second batch high og help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tilldeath

Reaction score
So brewed my second batch of beer and when I enter it into my calculator with out the maple syrup I come up with OG as 1.056 I guessed with maple I would end up with 1.070 ish. I guessed wrong lol I ended up with 1.098! Here's the recipe.

Ingredients:

5.5 lbs*Light Dry Malt Extract
1.5 lbs Crystal Malt (60 degrees lovibond)
1/2 lbs Black Patent Malt
1/2 lbs Chocolate malt*
64 oz*Grade B*Maple Syrup
2.5 oz Styrian Golding Hop Pellets

hops schedule is 1oz 60 min.
1oz 30min.
.5 oz 15

maple addEd at 5min.

So my questions are... 1. I under pitched accroding to mr mAlty by about a half pack dry safale us-05, it started at about 10hr. So I think it should so ok but should I be worried about anything? Will rack to a secondary , so... 2. How long should I let it sit in secondary? 3. Any tips on what to expect as far as flavors or other possible complications? Thx

Will be very very mapley and hoppy. Once fermentation starts, you should be fine to let it go. I'd let it ride 21 days in the primary before hitting your secondary. Personally, I only let beers clarify in the seondary, so in other words, let it sit in the secondary until it's clear and you have the trub out of suspension. Usually in my brews, that's about 14 days. I'd let that puppy sit in the bottle or keg for awhile before drinking though. It will need time to tame.

Cool will do. I was thinking though once I get a sg reading 2 days in a row I should be ok to rack to secondary, right?

Back