Marking volume inside of keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chicago1948

Reaction score
I don't have the time and funds to install a sight glass at the moment and I am wondering if anyone else has marked the inside of their keggle/HLT? I have a Sharpie but I am wondering if that will impact the beer at all. I was thinking of scratching some lines into the keggle but would rather use some kind of marker.

Any thoughts?

I've also heard of using a screwdriver and hammering little dent "notches". Just be careful not to go crazy and puncture it.

I marked mine on the outside just measured when full of water then spray painted lines on the outside ... probably not the best or most accurate way but after a few batches i know where it needs to be.

I like the notch idea on a stick / paddle exc. , i think ill cut notches in my stirring spoon for my next batch, thanks.

I notched my mash paddle one notch per gallon. I notched one side for brew kettle and one side for HLT (well...the pot that I sometimes use to heat sparge water..LOL)

ie:use gallon jug, pour in one gallon, measure & notch, repeat...

I don't have the time and funds to install a sight glass at the moment and I am wondering if anyone else has marked the inside of their keggle/HLT? I have a Sharpie but I am wondering if that will impact the beer at all. I was thinking of scratching some lines into the keggle but would rather use some kind of marker.

Any thoughts?

You will find that after your first batch, your sharpie markings will be long gone. I'd suggest using something removable, as others have said. Also, keep in mind that the volume increases as the liquid heats up. So your measurement at 65F will be different than 212F.

The removable stick was suggested in case you forget about the above, and end up with a kettle that has a bunch of useless dents marked on the side. oops... :mad:

I bought a cheap engraving tool for like $10 to mark the outside, no reason you couldn't use it inside either, may just need to have a flexible wrist ;-)

An oak dowel with notches, make a larger notch or one all way around for every 5gals, make a a small vertical notch (or hole) at 5gal, two vertical notches (or hole) at 10gal, 3 at 15gal, 4 at 20gal, 5 at 25gal, etc, etc. Make certain the device you are filling the kettle with is also calibrated well. If your kettle is over 25 gal. you might as well get an in-line meter or sight glass.

4% doesn't seem like enough to make a difference when we are talking in terms of 5 -6 gallons. We are barely talking 3 and a quarter cups.

I'm curious here as well. After yesterday's brew I think it's time to make a measuring stick. Right now i just drain into an Ale Pail for measurment, then transfer to another bucket to hold while I drain more for measurement, then repeat as needed. I'd like to eventually do SiteGalss but Notched stick would work fine for now.

Back