Help- Hop Substitution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffoC6

Reaction score
Hey all...

So I'm going to be brewing a 1-gallon batch of this recipe:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/left-hand-milk-stout-clone-139820/

I've got everything for this but totally forget to get the Magnum hops. Because this is only a 1-gallon batch, the ingredients in the link above have all been divided by 5. Therefore, I literally only need 0.07 oz of the Magnum hops. Because this is such a minute amount, can I get away with using any of the following instead?

-Cascade
-Mt. Hood
-Willamette

Thank you!

Hey all...

So I'm going to be brewing a 1-gallon batch of this recipe:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/left-hand-milk-stout-clone-139820/

I've got everything for this but totally forget to get the Magnum hops. Because this is only a 1-gallon batch, the ingredients in the link above have all been divided by 5. Therefore, I literally only need 0.07 oz of the Magnum hops. Because this is such a minute amount, can I get away with using any of the following instead?

-Cascade
-Mt. Hood
-Willamette

Thank you!

Mt. Hood is the highest in alphas of the hops you listed, but only about 6% vs. the Magnum's 12%+.
Because they'd probably be used for bittering and boiled for 60 minutes, any of these would work, since a 60 minute boil will pretty much kill any real flavor or aroma... You'd just have to adjust the weight of hops that you add to achieve the proper IBU's.
I'd really urge you to try to get some higher alpha hops if at all possible, Target, Sterling, Apollo, Perle, and Horizon come to mind as good subs.

Magnums are pretty clean when used for bittering and this recipe is pretty low IBU anyway, I'd go with the highest aa% hop you have on hand. A 60 minute addition won't add much in the way of flavor and by going with the highest aa% choice you will use the least amount necessary of the "wrong" hop to get the 60 minute IBU spec.

Mt. Hood is the highest in alphas of the hops you listed, but only about 6% vs. the Magnum's 12%+.
Because they'd probably be used for bittering and boiled for 60 minutes, any of these would work, since a 60 minute boil will pretty much kill any real flavor or aroma... You'd just have to adjust the weight of hops that you add to achieve the proper IBU's.
I'd really urge you to try to get some higher alpha hops if at all possible, Target, Sterling, Apollo, Perle, and Horizon come to mind as good subs.

I kind of understand what you're saying (Mt. Hood is my highest alpha), but how much additional Mt. Hood would I need to add to achieve the effect of the Magnum?

This beer doesn't rely too much on hop character so you should not notice that big a difference, esp because it is the 60 min addition. I would go with what has the highest Alpha Acids on this brew and get a bittering hop for next time.

but how much additional Mt. Hood would I need to add to achieve the effect of the Magnum?

Use an online beer calculator such as hopville.com and play with the numbers until you get an equal amount of IBU's from your substitute hop as you got from the amount of magnum in the recipie.

Use an online beer calculator such as hopville.com and play with the numbers until you get an equal amount of IBU's from your substitute hop as you got from the amount of magnum in the recipie.

+1

The magnum hops @ 60 would contribute only bittering. Any hop flavor or aroma will be coming from the Goldings. Plug your recipe into the calculator subing Mt. Hood for the Magnum and up the quantity until you hit your target IBU.

Back