How to Can/ Question about canning gift

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wulfsburg

Reaction score
Good Morning,
My girlfriend needs a hobby, and she doesnt really have one. She has expressed interest in canning. I have the kettle, and was wondering, does this kit have everything that she would need to get started? My brewpot is big enough to accommodate this setup.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AUA1X6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Thoughts? She loves to cook and craft and I think this would make a great gift. I was just curious of the quality of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
add a pressure cooker and your set, and I'll bet she'll let you use it to can some wort for starters!

You don't need a pressure cooker, but it cuts the boiling time from an hour to 10-15 minutes. I got mine second hand for next to nothing. Also if you're canning in the heat of the summer, boil everything outside on a banjo burner so you don't have to steam up the house. I learned that the hard way, plus it's a far easier clean up outside.

Isnt the point of the pressure cooker to kill botulinum? I hear that boiling alone doesn't do it.

Isnt the point of the pressure cooker to kill botulinum? I hear that boiling alone doesn't do it.

Higher heat from the pressure cooker, or lower pH of the item canned will do it. Many things are acidic enough that you don't need a pressure cooker but some things require it.

You don't need a pressure cooker, but it cuts the boiling time from an hour to 10-15 minutes. I got mine second hand for next to nothing. Also if you're canning in the heat of the summer, boil everything outside on a banjo burner so you don't have to steam up the house. I learned that the hard way, plus it's a far easier clean up outside.

This is golden , because I want one for brewing... maybe we can both go halfsies on one, and we can both use it.... I am liking this idea more and more.

Revvy, thanks for the recommendation on the granite pot. :rockin:

I'd hit up ebay or CL for a canner. If you are careful you can probably get one real cheap. You could also get one that needs a new seal, but that's the risk.

I am using my mom's old canner for making starter wort, sterile rehydrating water, and priming solution. No fussing around when I want to use them, just pop the top and pour it in.

That seems too expensive to me. And, you don't even get a pot. Go to walmart or someplace similar and buy the $19 enameled canning pot (comes with the canning rack) and the $10 canning kit that has everything else. That'll leave you some money to buy some jars and lids too. I'd start with jams and jellies - they're easy, cheap and make great gifts.

Good Morning,
My girlfriend needs a hobby, and she doesnt really have one. She has expressed interest in canning.

Good opportunity to pick up produce and visit a farmer's market together too ... Phoenix Public Market?
The O.H. and I go to Detroit's Eastern Market and make a day of it sometimes. Visit the sheds and food vendors, restaurant, antiques, get a pint ...

Good Morning,
My girlfriend needs a hobby, and she doesnt really have one. She has expressed interest in canning. I have the kettle, and was wondering, does this kit have everything that she would need to get started? My brewpot is big enough to accommodate this setup.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AUA1X6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Thoughts? She loves to cook and craft and I think this would make a great gift. I was just curious of the quality of it.

I think that kit looks a little pricey for what you get. Shop around a bit more and you can get a better deal. Really, I've found that stainless steel funnels vs. plastic really don't matter for basic canning activities. Get a more standard kit and a good book. The Ball Complete that someone else mentioned is a great book. I have it and love it. It starts with simple recipes and gets more complicated as you advance through the book.

I grew up preserving food with my mom and grandmother. We did a lot of pressure cooking, but to start with, you don't need pressure. You can do a lot of jams/jellies, salsa, sauces, relishes and whatnot with just waterbath canning. I second the notion of having an outdoor set-up, too, but you can build up to that. I now have, thanks to El Hubbo, a three-burner gas set-up with good workspace outside on the front porch. We chowed on some of my tasty corn relish just the other night. Nothing makes the winter pass faster than enjoying summer's bounty via your own hard work! :ban:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that kit looks a little pricey for what you get. Shop around a bit more and you can get a better deal. Really, I've found that stainless steel funnels vs. plastic really don't matter for basic canning activities. Get a more standard kit and a good book. The Ball Complete that someone else mentioned is a great book. I have it and love it. It starts with simple recipes and gets more complicated as you advance through the book.

I grew up preserving food with my mom and grandmother. We did a lot of pressure cooking, but to start with, you don't need pressure. You can do a lot of jams/jellies, salsa, sauces, relishes and whatnot with just waterbath canning. I second the notion of having an outdoor set-up, too, but you can build up to that. I now have, thanks to El Hubbo, a three-burner gas set-up with good workspace outside on the front porch. We chowed on some of my tasty corn relish just the other night. Nothing makes the winter pass faster than enjoying summer's bounty via your own hard work! :ban:

I agree- BUT I'd suggest making sure your hobby-less girlfriend would really like to be gifted with this. Some non-hobby type women would NOT appreciate a "suzy homemaker" gift and I'd just make sure she's the type before getting this gift.

I mean, I brew, make my own wine, soap, canned goods, and so on. So I'd love a gift to support my hobby. But if your girlfriend is a makeup/dressup/jewelry kind of girl, this may backfire.

I agree- BUT I'd suggest making sure your hobby-less girlfriend would really like to be gifted with this. Some non-hobby type women would NOT appreciate a "suzy homemaker" gift and I'd just make sure she's the type before getting this gift.

I mean, I brew, make my own wine, soap, canned goods, and so on. So I'd love a gift to support my hobby. But if your girlfriend is a makeup/dressup/jewelry kind of girl, this may backfire.

Words of wisdom. Your best bet is to flat out ask or hint in such a way that you know how it will go over.

Back