Is this wild yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

realestatecat

Reaction score
4 days ago I brewed an IPA and kept a sample in my hydrometer and its been sitting in the window sill this whole time.

I noticed a bit of bubbling and now I have full-on fermentation and a nice krausen on the top.

I'm guessing this is wild yeast...is it?

If it is, how could I safely harvest it? Would I just strip the krausen off the top and dump it in some boiled DME?

Any help would be awesome!

The thing to do first is to taste it. I mean really taste it, swirl it around in your mouth and get a good feel for all that could-be goodness. Take notes and report back on how it tastes.

Haha. no really its just some wild lacto or pedio or something. You do not want it. Anytime you leave out something sweet, there is always something wild and disgusting that will find it.

...Anytime you leave out something sweet, there is always something wild and disgusting that will find it.

Dunno about that...

I left a plastic bottle of starter wort on my workbench open for a few hours. Closed the lid and thought 'I'll wash it out later'. A week later I come back and see a half empty bottle of wort on my bench, give it squeeze and feel it's built up pressure. I loosened the lid and let-it-be.

Turns out the 'yeast' flocc'd pretty well, smells a funky in a good way and tastes alright. It's either wild yeast or brett I think.

The only thing I'm wondering now is if it's safe to drink. I know no pathenogens can live in beer but I'm assuming wort is a different story.

Latest posts

Back