Secondary fermentor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dougan

Reaction score
So, I'm all started. Got the beer in the fermentor, bubbled for a few days, and now it's done bubbling.

I got a kit from my local brew shop along with a ton of advice from the owner. I rememberd as much as I could but I forgot exactly what she had said about a secondary fermentor. I just know it came up.

I have the fermentor (bucket w/ the airlock lid) and a bottling bucket with a spout. Currently it's in the fermentor bucket. Should I transfer it out of the fermentor and back in so I can get rid of the waste on the bottom? Or should I put it in the bottling bucket and leave it in there (w/ lid on of course) Or should I just not worry about it? I'm not sure if moving the beer around or leaving the crap in it would hurt it more.

Next time around, should I use the bottling bucket as a primary fermentor and then put it in the fermentor bucket afterwards?

Thanks,
Scott

There are so many ways you could go with this. Some of us only use secondaries for beers that require long term aging and totally forgo secondaries for standard ales. Skim through this thread and it might help you out.

A lot of us have abandoned the secondary.
I transfer directly from Primary to secondary after about 14 days.

Just cause the air lock has stopped doing what it does...doesn't mean the yeast have stopped doing what they do.

also its NOT a secondary fermentor. that's an old phrase that was wrong then, and just stuck around.
all fermentation ends in primary. Secondary is a clearing tank...a 'bright tank'. Its a secondary 'stage' of brewing.

some move to a secondary vessel, some don't. both have their merits and possible downfalls.

You need a hydrometer to know the beer is done. the airlock will lie to you...

Instead of looking at is as a secondary, consider it a second fermenter.

You could be brewing a another batch with the second bucket. :mug:

Back