Grabass Kickass Christmas Beer Blast - 12/2/07

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boston

Reaction score
Just a reminder, group brew session scheduled for December 2. Who's in?

Boston? Yup
Walker?
Nosnhojr?
Baron?
Chad?
Prof. Frink?
Brloomis?
Bosox Joe from Clayton?

I'm in. I haven't done a group brew before. I assume I should bring all my brewing gear, grains, and some sampling/critiquing beers. I'll toss my butane catering burner in the car, too. It's only 10,00BTUs but might be handy for heating mash/sparge water and the like. What else can I bring?

Chad

Yep, bring all your stuff.
Bring your garden hose.
If everyone is in agreement, let's all bring a little something for "Toys For Tots"

What time are we planning on this happening?
Are you serious about the hose thing?
I am so lazy...Can I bring a no-boil kit?:drunk:

joebou4860 said:
What time are we planning on this happening?
Are you serious about the hose thing?
I am so lazy...Can I bring a no-boil kit?:drunk:

Sunday morning (12-02) @ 0800
Yeah, we'll each need a hose for chilling. Walker's got a splitter.

I'm planning on coming.

I may not be able to stay long enough to brew, but I'd like to hang out for a while at least.

Boston - I'll PM you for directions.

I'm in.

I got the old brewing machine greased up for a solo journey yesterday and things went pretty smoothly (amazingly well considering that I hadn't brewed in about 9 months). I'll have to make a trip to the brew shop to pick up what I need, but I think I'll try and pump out a fresh batch of Holy Grail on the 2nd.

As for hoses: I can a couple of hoses, and I've got 2 or 3 splitters around here so we can share the spigot.

-walker

Looks like we'll have a good turnout for next Sunday. You guys are welcome to set up your gear on Saturday if it will make Sunday morning less hectic for you.

Boston? Brewing
Walker? Brewing
Nosnhojr? ?
Baron? ?
Chad? Brewing
Prof. Frink? Brewing
Beerthoven (Brloomis)? Observing
Joebou4860? Observing
DaleJ? Brewing

Great! I'm in! That gives me a few days to finish riggin' up my porta-mash stand! Hopefully it'll weigh in under 20 lbs, collapse flat, have a small footprint, and hold up 300 lbs. You'll be amazed! Or perhaps burned. I recommend staying 15' back...

:drunk:

Boston said:
Looks like we'll have a good turnout for next Sunday. You guys are welcome to set up your gear on Saturday if it will make Sunday morning less hectic for you.

I'm definately going to be bringing all of my stuff by Saturday.

I think it would be nice if GRABASS started a new tradition at Christmas. Let's all bring a new, unwrapped toy ($10-15) to the brew-in for Toys For Tots. Somebody please bring a camera. Richard, would you bring Old and In The Way?

Boston Brewing
Walker Brewing
Nosnhojr Brewing
Chad Brewing
Prof. Frink Brewing
Beerthoven (Brloomis) Observing/Assisting
Joebou4860 Observing/Assisting
DaleJ Observing/Assisting

Let's see some pics!

nosnhojr said:
Great! I'm in! That gives me a few days to finish riggin' up my porta-mash stand! Hopefully it'll weigh in under 20 lbs, collapse flat, have a small footprint, and hold up 300 lbs. You'll be amazed! Or perhaps burned. I recommend staying 15' back...

:drunk:

Boston said:
I think it would be nice if GRABASS started a new tradition at Christmas. Let's all bring a new, unwrapped toy ($10-15) to the brew-in for Toys For Tots. Somebody please bring a camera. Richard, would you bring Old and In The Way?

Camera . . . check
Toy . . . check
Old & In the Way . . . I can pinch hit there if necessary. You want CD or video? Kentucky Colonels? Dillards? Any or all of the early Grisman stuff? I've got two moving boxes that I haven't had a chance to unpack yet, even a year after the move. Everything from Bill Monroe through Psychograss.

Chad

Chad said:
Camera . . . check
Toy . . . check
Old & In the Way . . . I can pinch hit there if necessary. You want CD or video? Kentucky Colonels? Dillards? Any or all of the early Grisman stuff? I've got two moving boxes that I haven't had a chance to unpack yet, even a year after the move. Everything from Bill Monroe through Psychograss.

Chad

That's cool, bring over a half-dozen or so...I've got a handful of Dick's Picks we can throw in there.

Boston said:

Boston Brewing
Walker Brewing
Nosnhojr Brewing
Chad Brewing
Prof. Frink Brewing
Beerthoven (Brloomis) Observing/Assisting
Joebou4860 Observing/Assisting
DaleJ Observing/Assisting

Great idea on the Toys for Tots tradition! I'll also bring along a camera and some Garcia/Grisman CDs.

I need pretty much everything for my batch, so it would be a hefty favor.

I think I can get there myself on Saturday, but if one of y'all is already going and can spare me the trip, that would rock.

I have to check the freezer to see what I already have. I can post back tonight.

BTW: Anyone used the big WYeast smack-packs without making a starter before? That's the part I am concerned about. If I need to make a starter, I probably need to do it on Friday, which means I need to get my butt to the shop myself.

I can pick stuff up for you if you need. I've made lots of batches with just the activator smack packs no starter. It's probably underpitching, but for most beers I think it's fine, just a longer lag time. What are you planning on brewing?

Professor Frink said:
I can pick stuff up for you if you need. I've made lots of batches with just the activator smack packs no starter. It's probably underpitching, but for most beers I think it's fine, just a longer lag time. What are you planning on brewing?

The Porter in the "On Deck" section of my sig.

I'd bet you'd probably be okay pitching a packet of Wyeast 1028 without a starter. I've pitched Wyeast 1056, 1098, and 1968 without a starter in the past and the results were fine. You can aerate that sucker up on ride home.

EDIT: I found my Grisman Xmas CD, I forgot how good it was.

Walker-san said:
The Porter in the "On Deck" section of my sig.
I've got the chocolate and 1 lb of 2-row vacuum sealed in the freezer, but the hops in the freezer have gone yellow. I'm tossing them.

That means I would need:

9 lbs of 2-row (the cheap American stuff)
1 lb of crystal 40L (I think they label it "42L to 49L")
0.25 lbs of black patent (if they sell it in 0.25 lb bags, else a 0.5 lb bag)
1.75 oz Kent Goldings (round up to 2OZ - leaf if possible, pellet otherwise - plugs are too expensive)
0.75 oz Fuggles (round up to 1OZ - leaf if possible, pellet otherwise - plugs are too expensive)
Big smacker of Wyeast 1028 - London Ale

The hops might be the bad part here. The shop limits you to 4 oz of hops "per batch".... how they have any idea what goes into my batch is beyond me. They might mean "4 oz per customer", which means I would be eating up 3 oz of your purchase limit, leaving you only 1 oz for yourself.

-walker

Walker-san said:
The hops might be the bad part here. The shop limits you to 4 oz of hops "per batch".... how they have any idea what goes into my batch is beyond me. They might mean "4 oz per customer", which means I would be eating up 3 oz of your purchase limit, leaving you only 1 oz for yourself.

Actually, they only sell leaf hops in 2oz bags, so my hop-needs would require 4 oz to be purchased.

It shouldn't be a problem, Mark should be fine with it if I'm buying for 2 batched. I'll probably be making a hefe, so I'll only need 1 oz. of hops anyway.

Professor Frink said:
It shouldn't be a problem, Mark should be fine with it if I'm buying for 2 batched. I'll probably be making a hefe, so I'll only need 1 oz. of hops anyway.

You rock.:rockin:

Let me know if you have any problems and I can try to make a run myself.

I asked about the "batch" policy a while back and believe they're interpreting it to mean "enough grain to brew 5gal or so." I think if the good Professor bought his grains for a 5gal batch he'd be entitled to 4oz and another 4oz with your grains. I asked because I'm planning on a double mash and a really big beer for my next batch(s) so required 8oz of Goldings for my 20lbs of base malt. They were fine with that.

If that isn't the case, I've got a pound of Belgian grown Kent Goldings, some Styrian Goldings and some Willamette tucked away in the freezer. I also have some Challenger and First Gold that could be substituted as well, though they're a little higher AA. I'd be happy to bring along extra hops if you need them.

Take care,
Chad

No problem Walker-san, I'll pick that stuff up for you.

I noticed the same thing Chad. Quite an unfortunate coincidence, unless you're into that kind of stuff...

Professor Frink said:
I noticed the same thing Chad. Quite an unfortunate coincidence, unless you're into that kind of stuff...

I haven't met him yet, but for those of you who did, does our Chad look like this?

chad.jpg

Yup, that's the other Chad Ward, a fetish photographer in England. I often wonder if he'd like to switch lives for a week or two. I'm a pretty decent photographer :D . I'm sure he'd like North Carolina.

And, oddly enough, he does look a little like me. I do have a Van Dyke. I'm kinda stocky like our boy in the photo, though I think he's got me beat by a stone or two. And I actually do have a couple of tattoos. See, we could switch lives and I could take pictures of nekkid women in leather! I've got a lot more grey, but a little Grecian Formula and I'm shootin' bondage chicks. Woohoo! :ban:

There's also a Chad Ward who is a somewhat disgraced (from what I can gather) running back for the San Diego Chargers, though I don't think we look anything alike.

Chad

I won't forget the toy.

Damn, I wish I was brewing. Just can't tho.

I'll probably be late and leave early. But I want to meet y'all and hang for a bit.

See you Sunday!

Back