Help, in middle of boiling Hops and short changed Hops from a kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dams09

Reaction score
Hi All, 1st post long time follower. I am in the middle of a boil and just realized the Flavoring Hops from a Austin Home brew kit (Boston Lager) were only .55oz and were supposed to be packaged as 1oz (recipe calls for 3/4 oz). What can I do:

1) should I boil flavoring Hops longer?
2) Am I ok because I am boiling 4 gallons and utilization will be better?
3) Should I substitute some of the bittering Hops which are also supposed to be used for aroma and sacrifice aroma some?
4) I have some Saaz left over can I mix with the tettnager to make 3/4oz?

I"ve usually had good luck with their kits but I'm very dissapointed in this one. I'm also going to come up short for Dry Hopping as I'm supposed to use the same hops for 1/4 dry hop. Here is the Hop schedule:

Tettnager 1 and 1/2 oz 60min
Halletauer 3/4 oz (they pkg. only .55)
Tettnager 1/4 oz Dry Hop

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I have about 35 mins to figure it out.

thanks!

Beer smith tells me that there is only a 1.1 IBU difference between the .55 and .75 oz discrepancy of aroma hops. I would either keep it as is, or add in the 1/4 saaz for aroma.
Dont boil them longer, this will destroy aroma and increase bitterness.

thanks so much for the quick response. I will keep it as is and hope for the best.

Back