Base of post leaking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biergarten

Reaction score
I have a leak at the bottom of the post near the base. Confirmed with soap/water/bubbles. Is this even repairable or is the keg trash? Gonna be a little angry as I have beer to keg and no keg to hold said beer. I saw a couple folks suggest may be a crack in base and may have to be welded. Is there any type of sealant I can use?

I have a leak at the bottom of the post near the base. Confirmed with soap/water/bubbles. Is this even repairable or is the keg trash? Gonna be a little angry as I have beer to keg and no keg to hold said beer. I saw a couple folks suggest may be a crack in base and may have to be welded. Is there any type of sealant I can use?

How does the dip-tube o-ring look? Have you tried replacing it? Is the post screwed on nice and tight?

Dip tube and o-rings are perfect. It is actually the metal piece that is attached directly to the keg and cannot be removed. The post screws on to it.
The leak is coming from the base of this male piece right next to the black rubber part of the keg. I was hoping some sort of food grade sealant will do the trick, or this keg may be trashed. I know for sure it is not any of the removable parts.

Ah, I see. I've seen some people on here seal small holes like that with JB-Weld successfully. Or if you know someone who's good with TIG welding SS, that would be an option too. It might be trash, but it's certainly worth attempting a fix.

I have had that happen to me a few times each time it happened after I cleaned the dip tubes and posts. The first time I put the wrong post on the wrong keg and it wasnt sealing good. The second time i overtightened the post and tore the o ring. This last time I noticed a small bend in the top of the dip tupe. All of these were causing bad seals and made it look like the beer was coming out of the rubber at the base of the post.

Interesting note Relampago. JBWeld on and I'll test tonight. I'll keep that in mind in the event it's still bubbling. Thank you for the reply.

JB Weld appears to have been the fix. No bubbling with gas applied. I'll continue to monitor but all seems well. Thank you to all who replied!

Latest posts

Back