Pros and Cons of leaving co2 chilled

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mainebrew

Reaction score
I have been wandering the pros and cons of keeping the tank in the cold, does this seem to affect the pressures? Can you get a misreading of the gauges? I see with some of the store bought kegerators they are placed on the back of the unit not actualy in the fridge.

It sure will affect the gauge reading. Really scary the first time you put the tank in there and come back an hour or two later and the gauge says it's time to refill. I do think it being cold makes the gauge useless and it might be harder to know you have a leak until it is too late. When I switch from the fridge to a keezer I think I'll leave the tank outside. Right now I don't want to drill any holes because when I'm done with the fridge it's going to my daughter's house to store their cased beer.

You'll see a different reading on the high pressure gauge that measures the CO2 tank's pressure just like you would if you put your tank in a hot car or left it exposed to the hot sun. ( all things being equal high temp = higher pressure vs low temp = lower pressure ) Hence the reason you don't want to put an aersol can in a fire. The increased internal pressure will cause it to explode.

If your cornie keg is cold then the low pressure gauge should remain the same regardless of whether the CO2 tank is inside or out.
Moving the cornie from warm to cold or vise-a-versa and you'll see a different pressure there too.

The only down side I see of keeping the CO2 tank outside the fridge is having to drill a hole for the gas line into the fridge.

The upside is it allows one more cornie keg to go inside the fridge

Well good morning gonefishing, how are the corni's working out? Well I have a chance to get a kegerator from a guy for a little horse trading but its a danby, although some mods have been made like the brewers choice temp controller I am still a little weary. Anything inparticular I should look for? The only thing will be I will not see this running do to meeting the guy halfway.

Thanks

Remember even though the tank pressure is lower, you still have the same amount of gas in there so it will not reduce the life of the tank, which is a common fallacy.

I used to have mine in the fridge but due to space concerns now keep it outside. I ran the hoses in through the condensate drain, without plugging it. You could use a shank system for professionalism.

Those cornies are great! Thanks!
My beer fridge is HUGE... I think I can quite easily fit 6 cornies in it and some bottled beers too, though right now there's only 2 cornies, a 5# CO2 bottle, a case of Bud, 12 Coronas and maybe a 6 pack of various other stuff..... still looks empty! LOL

I've been keeping my CO2 tank in the kegerator since I got it with no issues. I'll echo what others have said about pressure, it does read lower when colder, but pressure is not an indication of how much gas you have (which is why it is sold by weight). I have not had any problems with misreadings on my gauges.

Back